Utility Plant Operator
Under the direction of the Senior Utility Plant Operator (SUPO), safely and efficiently operate natural gas combustion and steam turbine generators, 300 psi steam boilers, chillers, cooling towers, and other utility plant equipment located at the Central Utility and Satellite Plants.
Caltech offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes a broad range of programs. We offer benefits which include health and dental coverage, generous holiday and vacation leave accrual plans, a competitive retirement option, life insurance and other types of financial protection, tuition assistance for staff members, child care programs, credit union memberships, library privileges, and participation in cultural and social events. In addition, as one of the top rated institutions in the world, Caltech offers the opportunity to work in a stimulating and diverse environment. If you are passionate about creating what is possible, consider coming to work at Caltech – apply online today!
Learn more about our benefits at:
- Perform inspection tours of all equipment in the Central Utility Plant, satellite facilities, and (as needed) the utility tunnels.
- Start and shut down boilers as directed. Fire boilers to maintain safe and efficient operation. Record temperatures and pressures on log sheets and maintain proper steam pressure, water level, fuel-to-air ratios, and emission levels. Inspect flame patterns, water levels, and emission levels of all operating boilers.
- Perform chemical analysis on all operating boilers; perform boiler bottom blow downs; adjust boiler surface blow down and chemical injection as required.
- Calibrate water quality analyzers. Monitor, troubleshoot, backwash, and regenerate sand filters, charcoal filters, zeolite water softeners, reverse osmosis units, demineralizers, and ultraviolet sterilizers. Perform water analysis of boiler feed water, condensate, chilled water, tower water, closed loop hot water systems, and condensed steam samples.
- Start and stop air compressors and air dryers.
- Start and stop pumps and change valve line-up.
- Start and shut down centrifugal chillers.
- Assist in the operation of combustion and steam turbine driven generators.
- Troubleshoot operating equipment problems, recommend corrective action to the SUPO and take actions as directed; report maintenance problems beyond ability to resolve to the SUPO.
- Clean machinery and spaces. Perform routine maintenance on equipment and facilities.
- Legibly record readings of plant parameters.
- Answer phone calls for the Institute. Carry a reliable communication device during assigned shifts. Maintain radio or cell phone communications with on-duty and emergency personnel at all times and respond to emergencies when necessary.
- Keep the SUPO informed of all activities. Monitor the control room during SUPO tours and breaks. Respond to all emergencies in the utility plant. Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Two years’ experience in power plant operation and/or maintenance.
- One-year experience in water chemistry, testing water softeners and boilers.
- Successful completion of a power plant operator coursework may substitute for part of the experience required.
- Able to follow written and oral instructions; must have good oral and written communication skills. Must maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Must have or ability to obtain within 12 months of start of employment a valid City of Los Angeles Unlimited Steam Engineer license with Turbine Endorsement and then maintain throughout the course of employment.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s license throughout the course of employment.
- Must be in good health with the physical strength and agility to lift up to 80 pounds on a daily basis, bend in all directions, climb stairs and ladders, squeeze with arms and hands, operate machinery using hands, and work outdoors in all kinds of weather; must be approved by the examining physician for this position.
- Must be able to work all shifts as assigned.
- 2 years’ experience in co-generation/combined cycle power plant operations.
- Possess a valid City of Los Angeles Unlimited Steam Engineer license with Turbine Endorsement.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 11/28/2016
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.