Financial Support Officer (EU projects)
Financial Support Officer in the Finance and Administrative Processes Department (FAP), External Funding Group (EF), External Grants Section (EG).
You will join the External Funding Group (FAP-EF), responsible for the Organization's financial management of the non-member states funding and research funding for international scientific collaborations. As part of the Finance and Administrative Processes Department, the group interacts with all the Organization's departments in the allocation of resources. Within the Group, the External Grants Section (FAP-EF-EG) is responsible for the financial and budgetary implementation and follow-up of projects financed by the European Commission (EC, EU projects). Participating in EU projects strengthens CERN's existing collaborations and creates new links with European universities, laboratories and industrial partners, complementing the main R&D programmes of the Organization. CERN currently takes part in over 70 projects funded under the European Commission's 7th framework programme and Horizon 2020. For more information see H2020.
As Financial Support Officer in the EG Section, you will have a unique opportunity to become an expert in applying EC H2020 financial rules, and to manage all financial aspects of your assigned projects: budgeting, financial control, working closely with project members in the Organization's departments and services, as well as with the European Commission, auditors and partners outside the Organization.
- Analyse, integrate and apply EC H2020 rules and regulations to CERN.
- Carry out budget and financial analyses of European Commission projects.
- Elaborate financial files and reports, for both internal and external audiences, such as the European Commission and External Auditors.
- Provide proactive support and advice to the project members in CERN Departments and to partners outside the Organization.
Bachelor's degree in the field of finance, accounting or management, or equivalent*.
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications: In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in a financial service.
- Experience of H2020 financial rules would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Financial reporting and analysis.
- Budgeting, forecasting, statistics.
- Use of Office software packages: mainly Excel.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely.
- Working in teams: gaining trust and collaboration from others.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily absorbing new techniques and working practices; proposing new or improved ways of working.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
The language competencies required are:
- English: spoken and written, with the ability to understand and speak in professional contexts, to draft texts for publications and/ or official communications and/or to make oral presentations. Ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.01.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.