Financial Administrative Assistant
Financial Administrative Assistant in the Finance and Administrative Process Department (FAP), External Funding Group (EF), Teams and Collaborations section (TC) section.
You will join:
- The Finance and Administrative Processes Department (FAP) which is responsible for effectively and efficiently managing the financial resources and commitments of the Organization, ensuring compliance with financial rules and procedures of CERN.
- The External Funding (EF) Group responsible for the Organization's financial management of the non-member states funding and research funding for international scientific collaborations.
- The Teams and Collaborations (TC) Section manages funding from research institutes and is responsible for invoicing, accounting and collecting receivable amounts due as well as approving, processing and paying reimbursement claims to visiting scientists.
As Financial Administrative Assistant in the Teams and Collaborations section, you will:
- Control, approve and process reimbursement claims according to established deadlines.
- Provide advice and assistance to visiting scientist from the whole world on reimbursement rules and procedures applicable at CERN.
- Provide a service-minded and diplomatic, yet objective approach to persons with varied cultural backgrounds and positions reaching from students to directors of research institutes and officials from funding ministries.
- Actively take part in improving working processes and ensure written procedures are up-to-date.
- Prepare financial reports on a regular basis or on-demand.
- Learn the tasks of your colleagues (accounts receivable, client records management, reporting), in order to ensure back-up during absences.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of administration, or equivalent*.
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications: In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience with customer relations in an international environment.
- Demonstrated experience from working in a financial service.
- Experience in approving and processing reimbursement claims would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Customer service.
- Payables and receivables accounting.
- External funds accounting.
- Financial reporting and analysis.
- Use of Office software packages: mainly Excel.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; treating others fairly and equally; standing up for own opinion and actions with well substantiated arguments.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; successfully changing other people's opinions by persuasive arguments; checking to ensure that the message has been well understood.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being able to demonstrate flexibility whilst abiding by all applicable rules; Being able to demonstrate flexibility whilst abiding by all applicable rules.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; gaining trust and collaboration from others.
The language competencies required are:
- English and French: spoken and written, with the ability to understand and speak in professional contexts and to prepare, draft or translate accurate texts.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.01.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 3 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.