Postdoctoral Research Associate in Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences
- One of Australia’s leading research and teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
- At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences in the Faculty of Science is located at the Kensington campus in Sydney. We have an international reputation in biotechnology, molecular and cellular biology, and microbiology, including proteomics and genomics, gene regulation, metabolism, environmental microbiology and infectious diseases.
About the role
- AUD$89,051 - $95,248 plus 9.5% superannuation and leave loading
- Fixed Term for 12 months with the potential to extend
The primary role of the position will be to undertake research on genomic epidemiology of Salmonella. There will also be opportunity for the appointee to participate in other related research projects. The post-doctoral research associate will join a research group working on molecular epidemiology and evolution of bacterial pathogens and will interact closely with team members within the laboratories of A/Prof Ruiting Lan at UNSW, and A/Prof Vitali Sintchenko at Centre for Infectious Diseases & Microbiology, ICPMR Westmead Hospital.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Have a PhD in or equivalent qualification in microbiology, genomics or related field
- Have demonstrated knowledge and experience with processing of large volumes of next generation sequencing data and comparative genomic and phylogenetic analyses
- Have experience or aptitude in programming languages (eg Python, Perl, R) and developing bioinformatics analytical pipelines, operating Linux-based high performance computing systems and SQL databases
- Have experience in conducting research in a laboratory environment
- Have an excellent track record in publishing scientific papers
- Have excellent organisational skills, written and oral communications skills.
- Have the capacity to work with a multidisciplinary team.
- Have knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent directly to the contact listed.
You may be required to undergo pre-employment checks prior to appointment to this role.
A/Prof Ruiting Lan
T: (61 2) 9385 2095
Applications close: 13 January 2017 (AEDT)