Senior Utility Plant Operator
Under minimum supervision and from a central control room via computer interface, and in conjunction with the Utility Plant Operator (UPO), operate natural gas combustion and steam turbine generators, 300 psi steam boilers, chillers, cooling towers, and other utility plant equipment located at the Central Utility and Satellite Plants.
Also analyze, diagnose and correct problems within the utility generation and distribution systems. Monitor and report problems in the Building Management System (BMS).
Directs the actions of the Utility Plant Operator for plant operations and the Service Mechanic when the Building Systems Operator (BSO) is not available.
The position is offering a competitive compensation package and excellent benefits.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of utility plant conditions for all systems and equipment at the Central Utility and Satellite Plant. Diligently observes and controls the cogeneration, heating, chilled water, compressed air, and water treatment plants in accordance with standard operating procedures and supervisory directives to maximize safety and efficiency.
- Monitors the combustion and steam turbine generators to ensure proper operation while recording and trending readings from the Factory Link control system. Responds to all variances. Monitors boiler operations and reacts to varying load requirements.
- Monitors Continuous Emissions Monitoring Systems (CEMS) and ensures operating combustion equipment is maintained in regulatory compliance with governing agencies.
- Monitors the BMS and directs the Service Mechanic to respond to alarms and unusual conditions when the BSO is absent.
- Utilizing Computerized Maintenance Management Software (CMMS), creates work orders for the night Service Mechanic. Writes work orders for the day shift maintenance and operations crew regarding maintenance issues that are not able to be resolved on off shifts.
- Conduct inspection tours of the Central Utility and Satellite Plant and provides instruction to the Utility Plant Operator as required.
- Maintains radio or cell phone communications with on-duty and emergency personnel at all times and respond to emergencies when necessary.
- Keeps the Central Utility Plant Supervisor apprised of unusual and emergency conditions.
- Maintain the Central Utility Plant Log and review all operator logs.
- Must be able of performing Utility Plant Operator (UPO) and other duties as assigned.
- High School graduate or GED.
- At least one year of additional steam plant, power generation or engineering related education.
- Five year’s experience in power plant operation including power generation, steam and/or combustion turbines and water chemistry analysis.
- Able to read and interpret engineering drawings and specifications.
- Able to follow written and oral instructions and have the ability to instruct others in their work.
- Able to prepare concise and accurate reports and records.
- Must maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid, City of Los Angeles, Unlimited Steam Engineer license with Turbine Endorsement within the 6-month probationary period and be able to maintain it throughout the course of employment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license at the time of employment and be able to maintain it throughout the course of employment.
- Must be able to complete an in-house certification process within three months of commencing employment.
- Computer literacy in Windows, MS Office, CMMS and time-keeping software.
- Must demonstrate the skills and the abilities necessary to assume a “take charge” role during technical operations and emergencies.
- Must demonstrate proficiency as Utility Plant Operator.
- Must be in good health with the physical strength and ability to lift up to 80 pounds of tools, supplies and other job related instruments on a daily basis, bend in all directions, climb stairs and ladders, squeeze with arms and hands, operate machinery using hands, and work outdoors in all kinds of weather; must be approved by the examining physician for this position.
- Must be able to work all shifts as assigned.
- Possess a valid, City of Los Angeles, Unlimited Steam Engineer license with Turbine Endorsement.
- Five years’ experience as a Control Room Operator in a combined cycle power plant is preferred.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 11/21/2016
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.