Director of Research Programs and Professor
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology (FEIT)
UTS: Engineering and IT is an innovative and research intensive faculty with a strong reputation for practice-based learning programs and industry engagement.
Our learning and teaching is shaped by our unique UTS Model of Learning framework, which encourages a practice-based, collaborative and globally relevant learning approach and development of graduate attributes.
The Faculty of Engineering and IT is seeking an outstanding Professor to lead the Faculty’s research degree programs.
The Director of Research Programs is responsible for setting and managing the Faculty’s strategy and policy development for research degree programs. The Director provides academic leadership and management including the allocation of funding, developing measures for quality assurance in supervision and the HDR curriculum, enhancing the HDR student experience, and the drafting and implementation of relevant strategic initiatives.
The Director of Research Programs will be a two year appointment with a substantive Professorial appointment. The faculty is therefore seeking a research leader who contributes to, develops and delivers subjects as well as actively contributes to the strategic research portfolio in FEIT.
This will be a duel role as a Professor and the Director of Research Programs within the faculty. The duties and responsibilities of each role will be split on a 50/50 basis.
The Director of Research Programs will report to the Associate Dean (Research and Development). Responsibilities will include:
- Strategically lead and provide operational oversight of the HDR student candidature lifecycle from the point of application to successful completion and graduation
- Develop and implement strategies to increase the local and international volume of the HDR cohort
- Assist the Associate Dean (Research and Development) in research programs planning and policy development
- Represent the Faculty and promote research education internally and externally, including coordinating links with the community, government, industry and professional bodies
- Liaise with the Associate Dean (Teaching and Learning) and the Associate Dean (Research and Development) on construction planning, maintenance, and delivery of appropriate AQF level 10 coursework for HDR students across the Faculty
- When required, act in place of the Associate Dean (Research and Development)
In addition to the above, responsibilities of the Professor include:
- Contribute to, develop and deliver courses within the School and Faculty.
- Assist in curriculum development and contribute to the overall development of teaching and learning in the School and Faculty.
- Engage in research appropriate to the strategic research direction of the Discipline, School and Faculty.
- Take a leadership role within the Discipline, mentoring other academics as required.
To be successful in this role, you will demonstrate the following skills:
- A sound knowledge of the principles and applications of the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level 10
- Capability to nurture and develop talent particularly in research degree supervision
- Demonstrated academic leadership experience at the tertiary level, including teaching and learning, research and external engagement
- Academic and professional qualifications commensurate with the level of Professor or Associate Professor in a relevant discipline area
Salary: A competitive salary package will be offered, that includes the Level E Professor base salary as $179,363.
This role attracts 17% superannuation in addition to the base salary. Employee benefits include flexible work practices, child care centres, generous parental leave and salary packaging opportunities.
The Director, research Programs will be appointed on a 2 year fixed term basis with a substantive, continuing appointment at a level E Professor.
How to apply
Please click on the apply button to be taken to the advertisement on our careers page where you will find links with instructions on how to apply and the full position description.
Specific enquiries or issues with your application may be directed to the UTS Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +61 (0) 2 9514 1080.
Closing Date: Friday 16th December 2016 at 11.59pm (AEST)
UTS is widely acknowledged as a leader in promoting gender equity and social justice. Cited as a WGEA Employer of Choice since the inception of the award, UTS is a current participant in the SAGE pilot program, the Australian trial of the Athena Swan gender equity accreditation program. We welcome applications from women, particularly for senior and non-traditional roles.