Classification Systems Administration-Assistant Exempt/Overtime Eligible Overtime Eligible Position Information
Posting Number 16505SP Division/Department Information Management Systems and Services Laboratory Work Location (City, State or Country) Pasadena, Ca. Functional Title Systems Administrator Job Category Fulltime Regular If position is parttime, how many hours per week? If position is temporary, is it less than 3 months? No Benefits Eligible? Yes Relocation Available? No Emergency Reporting Designation? Essential Non-Reporting Number of Vacancies 1 Desired Employment Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Anticipated Salary Range Job Summary
This position will serve as an Assistant System Administrator within the IMSS Business Systems Infrastructure group. Primary responsibilities will include, but not limited to, the deployment and support of a broad array of campus IT systems for a wide variety of campus customers.
• Assist in the design, deployment and continued operations of IMSS Business Systems Infrastructure solutions.
• Participate in the implementation and troubleshooting of software and hardware solutions.
• Assist in the development of technical project plans and testing procedures.
• Evaluate, test and implement vendor patches/upgrades for both hardware and software.
• Maintain comprehensive documentation for building, troubleshooting and supporting servers and associated applications.
• Perform monitoring and tuning of systems to achieve optimum performance levels.
• Perform activities associated with user account creations and terminations.
• Implement established procedures to ensure strong system-level security and integrity.
• Support the backup and recovery strategy for the campus.
• Perform Active Directory Organization Unit (OU) maintenance.
• Participate in hardware and software reviews of systems to ensure compliance with established policies, standards and configuration guidelines.
• Participate in an on-call team rotation for off-hours support. Participate in scheduled off-hours maintenance windows. Some off-hours work is required.
• 3+ years of experience acting in a customer-facing capacity, supporting applications and services on Microsoft platforms in mixed client environments.
• Experience in deploying, securing, troubleshooting, tuning and maintenance of Windows server operating systems.
• General networking knowledge and skills (especially TCP/IP, NetBIOS & DNS).
• Candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Must be highly professional, focused on quality, customer service oriented, and have excellent in-person support demeanor for users of all skill levels.
• Willingness and ability to handle a wide range and number of tasks.
• Candidate must be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with frequent interruptions.
• The candidate must be able to lift moderately heavy equipment up to 50 pounds.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field and relevant professional and technical certifications.
• Administration skills utilizing Windows Server 2008/2012, Active Directory, IIS, Exchange, DNS, DHCP and WINS.
• Experience in maintaining and troubleshooting enterprise-level systems including: e-mail servers, web and application servers, database servers, DNS servers, backup/recovery solutions, file and print servers.
• Experience in the deployment and continued operation of a virtualized infrastructure utilizing VMware.
• Experience deploying and migrating users to Microsoft Office 365 cloud-based collaboration and productivity services: Hybrid Exchange, SharePoint, OneDrive and Skype for Business.
• Experience migrating on-prem hosted servers/applications to Amazon Web Services.
• Experience using PowerShell for system administration.
• Experience supporting the following products: EMC Avamar, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft System Center, and Tintri storage solutions.
Supervisory position? No Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 11/18/2016 Posting Close Date Open Until Filled Yes EEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have 3+ years of experience acting in a customer-facing capacity, supporting applications and services on Microsoft platforms in mixed client environments?
- * Do you have experience in deploying, securing, troubleshooting, tuning and maintenance of Windows server operating systems?
- * Do you have the ability to lift up to 50 lbs?
Documents Needed to Apply Required Documents
- Cover Letter