Working Title Journey-level Plumber Classification Title Pipe/Mech Trades II Position Type State Classified Open Date 11/17/2016 Close Date 12/01/2016 Salary $4,022 monthly + FULL BENEFITS Full/Part Time Full-time State Classified Hourly No Overtime Eligible Position Location Fort Collins, CO 80523 Description of Work Unit
Facilities Management’s Plumbing Shop operates and maintains the University plumbing systems to include (but not limited to) such things as: the campus potable water and non-potable systems, de-ionized water, natural gas, fire sprinkler, outside hydrants, sanitary and storm systems, process air, vacuum, medical gas, swimming pools and back-flow prevention devices to meet the University, Division and Departments needs and requirements.
This Journey-level Plumber position will provide maintenance, repair and remodel services on the campus plumbing systems to include, but not limited to, outside utilities (gas, water, sanitary and storm systems), swimming pools, building plumbing systems gas, water, sewer), steam systems, de-ionized and distilled water, cross-connection and inspections.
Four years of progressively responsible commercial plumbing experience. Current plumber and driver’s license.
Substitutions Preferred Qualifications
A very strong candidate will offer several of the following preferred qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience in maintenance, repair, and remodeling plumbing systems, preferably in a commercial or multi-unit residential environment
- Prior experience leading or assisting less experienced plumbing and skilled trades workers
- Ability to interpret designs and layouts from mechanical drawings
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to effectively provide customer service to a variety of customers including faculty, staff, students, and internal CSU departments
- Independence, self-motivation, and pride in work quality
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to establish positive working relationships with team members and customers.
An approach to work that includes:
- An eagerness to collaborate and share information with a variety of tradesman.
- Flexibility and the ability to adjust to changing work demands, priorities, and routines
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category System Installation Duty/Responsibility
- Install, repair, replace, and maintain all potable and non-potable water systems: sewage and drain systems, natural gas piping, de-ionized water, swimming pools, distilled water, and associated components or fixtures.
Percentage Of Time 20 Job Duty Category Maintenance to Utilities Systems Duty/Responsibility
- Perform planned maintenance, repairs and testing of utilities systems: water, gas, sewage distribution, storm drains, cathodic protection devices, back-flow prevention and gas scoping.
- De-ionize, distill acid neutralization.
Percentage Of Time 45 Job Duty Category Plumbing Inspections Duty/Responsibility
- Inspect installed plumbing systems to meet our standards, mission, and IPC.
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category Slight Supervision over Non-Tradesman Duty/Responsibility
- Direct, assist, and supervise skilled and lesser skilled plumbing tradesman, non-tradesman, and students.
- Act as lead person, when required.
Percentage Of Time 10 Job Duty Category Operation of Water Systems for Athletics Duty/Responsibility
- Operate, maintain and repair water systems for athletic and special events.
- Open and close facilities as required to meet scheduled activities.
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category Budget Estimations Duty/Responsibility
- Estimate labor and material costs.
- Interpret designs and layouts from mechanical drawings.
- Inspect installations to meet code compliance.
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category Collaboration with Others Duty/Responsibility
- Consult with other units and provide training and instruction to produce optimum results.
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category Other Duties as Assigned Duty/Responsibility
- Other related duties as assigned or requested in order to meet the needs, goals and objectives of the department.
Percentage Of Time 5 Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the “Work Experience” section on the application. We must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that we can calculate full-time experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening. **Please see the “Required Documents” section of the posting.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a complete application; however, resumes may still be required as a component of complete application materials.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which often requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check in your Junk and Deleted folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
1) Multiple ways to login:
- Enter your Username and Password on the home page to login,
- Click on Login (in the upper left-hand corner) – then Login (Under Apply without Vitae),
- or Click on Returning Applicant – then Login (under Apply without Vitae)
2) Select “Your Applications” in order to display all the applications you have submitted to open positions as well as the following:
- You can view the Status of your application for each position
- You can withdraw your application from consideration
- You can view the job posting for the position you applied
- You can archive the application once the position has been filled
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the “Help” link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office at the main phone line: 970-491-MyHR (6947).
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License, Essential Services Designation - Required to be on duty to perform essential and/or emergency services of the agency without delay or interruption, Shift Work - may be required to work non-traditional hours, i.e., swing shift, night shift, On-call Status - be able to respond to after hour calls (within 45 min. time frame) from the X Department's answering, shop and/or dispatch areas, Special Requirements/Other - Colorado Journey-Level Plumbing License. Note: If you have a Journey-Level Plumbing License from another state, Colorado license must be obtained within six months of hire. , Pre-employment Physical - successful completion of WorkSTEPS EEO Statement
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.
Employment and Appeal Rights
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you willing and able to submit to a pre-employment background check that may include, but is not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history as a condition of hire?
- * If you have a current and valid driver's license, please list 1) the number, 2) the expiration date, and 3) the issuing state. Otherwise, state "N/A".
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you currently possess a Journey or Master Plumbing License issued by the State of Colorado? If yes, please provide the license number, granting agency information and expiration date below.
(Open Ended Question)
- * This position must be willing and able to work some night and weekends outside of the typical 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. work week. Are you willing and able to work some nights and weekends in order to meet the needs of the University?
- * Are you willing and able to report to work without delay or interruption (within 45 minutes of request), to provide essential and/ or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare of the campus community?
- * Please explain why you are interested in this position. How does your work experience align with the job responsibilities and preferred qualifications of this position, making you an ideal candidate?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe a time when you experienced conflict or miscommunication with a teammate or customer that threatened the integrity or effectiveness of your work. How did you maintain your composure and professionalism while meeting the needs of the customer or teammate?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Share the most challenging plumbing project for which you have been engaged. Describe the project, the steps that were taken during the process, challenges faced, and results.
(Open Ended Question)
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- List of Professional References
- Veteran DD214 Form (Member-4) (For State Classified searches ONLY)
- State Classified Application