Office Manager and Postdoctoral Scholar Specialist
Classification Staff Support-IC-Assistant Exempt/Overtime Eligible Overtime Eligible Position Information
Posting Number 16508SP Division/Department Engineering and Applied Science Laboratory Work Location (City, State or Country) Pasadena, Ca. Functional Title Office Manager and Postdoctoral Scholar Specialist Job Category Fulltime Regular If position is parttime, how many hours per week? If position is temporary, is it less than 3 months? Benefits Eligible? Yes Relocation Available? Emergency Reporting Designation? Essential Non-Reporting Number of Vacancies 1 Desired Employment Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Anticipated Salary Range Job Summary
This is an administrative staff position within the Division, reporting to the Division Chair and the Division Administrator.
Provide administrative management and oversight for EAS Division postdoctoral scholars and visiting faculty. Serve as back-up for the Academic Affairs Manager. Provide support to the Division Chair in the execution of the Chair’s duties; also provide administrative and project support for the Division Administrator. Manage the EAS Division Office, including developing and implementing electronic tools and processes to effect enhanced operations.
Requires the ability to provide solutions to a wide range of difficult problems and effectively handle unique or complex requests. Requires someone who is organizationally astute and who can develop effective cross-functional working relationships in the Division and throughout the Institute.
- Assist the Division Chair in the execution of the Chair’s responsibilities.
- Assist the Division Administrator in the execution of the Administrator’s responsibilities.
- Responsible for processing, tracking, and record maintenance for postdoctoral scholars and visitors, including initial appointment, reappointment, and periodic review.
- Serve as central point of contact for postdoctoral scholars and visitors transactions, and communications between Division Departments and other campus administrative units such as Human Resources, Faculty Records Office, International Scholars Services, and Payroll.
- Serve as an internal resource to faculty and staff on Divisional and Institute policies and procedures applicable to areas of responsibility; research information as required; interpret and communicate policies and procedures.
- Serve as backup for the Academic Affairs Manager for professorial faculty, non-professorial research faculty, and visiting faculty.
- Maintain the Chair’s calendar by arranging appointments and meetings.
- Formal correspondence editing and proofreading.
- Support data collection and reporting for divisional needs.
- Support data collection and reporting for third party surveys and accreditation processes.
- Process and/or monitor Division Office P-card transactions; order and maintain Division Office supplies.
- Assist the Finance Manager in reconciling Division accounts, as needed.
- Distribute announcements related to research funding and employment and internship opportunities.
- Plan, organize and coordinate special events and seminars.
- Coordinate graduate and undergraduate award nominations.
- Open and distribute office mail; respond to walk-in requests, answer and direct general phone calls.
- Maintain confidential records and files; organize and/or develop filing systems and electronic data management systems.
- Work with the Academic Affairs Manager on electronic tools for the faculty and post-doctoral search process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum BS/BA degree or five years of academic and administrative support experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate clearly and tactfully.
- Ability to interact in a thoroughly professional manner with various levels of staff and faculty.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Must have excellent organization skills and be detail oriented. Is required to effectively resolve problems by applying policies and procedures.
- Ability to independently respond to routine requests, and use excellent judgment and discretion in responding to or referring complex or special requests to the Administrator or other members of the Division.
- Requires someone who is organizationally astute, can handle many responsibilities simultaneously, is self-motivated, and is energized by being part of an administrative team that interacts throughout the Division and the Institute.
- Expert with desktop computer systems and office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, FileMaker Pro). Experience in thinking about online and electronic systems and solutions.
Caltech experience preferred.
Experience with Oracle desirable.
Supervisory position? No Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 11/16/2016 Posting Close Date Open Until Filled Yes EEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a BS/BA degree or five years of academic and administrative support experience?
- * Do you have expert experience with desktop computer systems and office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, FileMaker Pro)?
Documents Needed to Apply Required Documents
- Cover Letter