Associate Professor in Communications
Title: Associate Professor in Communications
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 31 January 2017 Commencement Date: May/June2017
The University of Central Asia (UCA) is a private (not for profit), secular University whose charter has been signed by the Presidents of Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan, ratified by the parliaments of the founding states and registered with the United Nations. UCA is the first internationally chartered university in the world. The mission of UCA is to foster the socio-economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain societies, while helping the peoples of the region preserve and draw upon their rich cultural heritages as assets for the future. UCA consists of the School of Arts and Sciences (undergraduate), the School of Professional and Continuing Education and its three research institutes including the Institute of Public Policy and Administration, the Cultural Heritage and Humanities Unit and the Mountain Societies Research Institute. The University provides three additional initiatives to build teaching and scholarly capacity in the region through its Central Asian Faculty Development Programme, the Aga Khan Humanities Project, and its Research Programme. For more information, please visit http://www.ucentralasia.org.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking a senior Faculty Member in Communications and Media to teach at UCA’s two campuses in Naryn Campus in Kyrgyz Republic and Khorog Campus in Tajikistan. In your role as Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to shaping the Communications and Media curriculum, helping students appreciate and develop an interdisciplinary approach to the field of media and communications, primarily grounded in the social sciences and also open to humanities perspectives. Applicants should demonstrate research excellence and a commitment to developing critical ways to conceptualise and research empirically the relationships between media and communications technologies and the social world with particular reference to strategic communication challenges faced by individuals and organizations.
Central to the vision of UCA is to create an outstanding teaching and research institution that excels in the generation and application of knowledge. Academic programmes combine the student-centred environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. As a Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to teaching in small classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure they master and apply the material.
Programme Description UCA's Communications and Media programme offers a unique integrated approach that includes communications theory, media studies, journalism and applied media. The programme mirrors current trends in the study and practice of media communications. Students will be equipped with a strong foundation in both theory and practical skills desired by media industries, including journalism, public relations, advertising, marketing communications, multi-media design, media production, media law and management. They will acquire skills in writing and critical thinking, as well as knowledge in media law, ethics and the political, economic, cultural and social character of Central Asian societies.
- PhD or equivalent from a globally recognized university in Communications &/or equivalent experience in the field;
- Fluency in English is required.
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students; preferably at least 3 years of experience at the undergraduate level;
- Demonstrated understanding of teaching, i.e. developing new and interesting courses grounded in a discipline area and interdisciplinary in nature;
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies;
- Experience in developing and delivering training modules to teachers, tutors and mentors;
- Experience in some form of leadership involving students, faculty and staff, i.e. managing faculty (department lead or chair), student research projects and/or theses;
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia would be a valuable asset;
- Some technical skills related to media production would be an asset;
- Ability to work independently, as well as within a teaching team; flexibility and the ability to work in a constantly-evolving academic endeavour is essential.
- A proven ability to publish research in peer reviewed journals related to your areas of expertise;
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences;
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset.
- Knowledge of Russian would be an advantage
Timing and Location
You should be prepared to move to Central Asia by May/June 2017 or earlier for acculturation and to prepare for teaching. Your position will be based in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic, but you will also teach classes at other UCA locations. Regional travel is to be expected.
Salary and Package: Salary and package to attract the best candidate. The job description is subject to change.
How to Apply
Please send us (1) an up-to-date resume; (2) a sample of any published work; (3) two references (one to attest to your teaching experience, and another to your research experience) and (4) teaching evaluations from the last three years of employment (if available) to email@example.com by 31 January 2017. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Communications Faculty Member” and indicate how you heard about us.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about UCA’s academic programmes please visit
Review other job vacancies at: http://www.ucentralasia.org/About/CurrentVacancies