Associate Professor in Economics
Title: Associate Professor in Economics
Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Khorog, Tajikistan
Deadline: 31 January 2017 Commencement Date: May/June2017
The University of Central Asia (UCA) is a private (not for profit), secular University whose charter has been signed by the Presidents of Tajikistan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan, ratified by the parliaments of the founding states and registered with the United Nations. UCA is the first internationally chartered university in the world. UCA’s mission is to foster the socio-economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain societies, while helping the peoples of the region preserve and draw upon their rich cultural heritages as assets for the future.
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The University of Central Asia is seeking a senior Economics Faculty Member to teach at UCA’s two campuses in Naryn, Kyrgyzstan and Khorog, Tajikistan. In your role as Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to helping students develop an informed acquaintance with a variety of topics that are related to Central Asian and regional economic systems and structures and how and by whom they are conditioned today, in the past and in the future. You will also work with UCA to manage the development of its undergraduate programme which will have introductory courses in micro and macroeconomics and advanced courses in econometrics, trade economics and labour economics.
Central to the vision of UCA is to create an outstanding teaching and research institution that excels in the generation and application of knowledge. Academic programmes combine the student-centred environment of a liberal arts college with the intellectual excitement of being at the frontiers of knowledge offered by a research university. The language of instruction for undergraduate studies is English, with a requirement that all undergraduate students be fluent in their native language and Russian. As a Faculty Member, you will be dedicated to teaching in small classes and providing each student with personal academic attention to ensure they master and apply the material.Programme Description
UCA aims to train economists who are strategic thinkers and can eventually serve as effective policy makers in trade and foreign direct investment and practical analysts who understand the complexities of Central Asian and global economies. The programme will address both global economic concepts and processes and Central Asian emerging economies and opportunities. It will equip students to lead regional policy making to generate economic reforms and contribute to sound public policy and private sector growth.
You will have access to and be expected to contribute to research implemented by the University's Institute of Public Administration and Policy, which fosters rigorous inquiry into public policy related to socio-economic development in Central Asia and has strong partnerships with government agencies across the region.
- PhD or equivalent from an internationally recognized university in Economics;
- Fluency in English is required.
- A demonstrated commitment to teaching and students; preferably at least 3 years of experience at the undergraduate level;
- Demonstrated understanding of teaching i.e. developing new and interesting courses grounded in a discipline area and interdisciplinary in nature;
- Experience using innovative teaching methods and evaluation methodologies;
- Experience in developing and delivering training modules to teachers, tutors and mentors;
- Experience in some form of leadership involving students, faculty and staff, i.e. managing faculty (department lead or chair), student research projects and/or theses;
- Experience in teaching in Central Asia would be a valuable asset.
- A proven ability to publish research in peer reviewed journals related to your areas of expertise;
- Regular attendance and experience with presenting at international conferences;
- Experience as a peer reviewer for well-established journals in your area of study;
- Experience in conducting research in Central Asia would be a valuable asset.
Timing and Location
- You should be prepared to move to Central Asia by May/June 2017 or earlier for acculturation and to prepare for teaching. Your position will be based in the Khorog Campus, Tajikistan, and you will also be teaching at the Naryn Campus, Kyrgyz Republic, regional travel, therefore, is to be expected.
Knowledge of Russian would be an advantage
Salary and Package: Salary and package to attract the best candidate. The job description is subject to change.
How to Apply
Please send us (1) an up-to-date resume; (2) a sample of any published work; (3) two references (one to attest to your teaching experience, and another to your research experience) and (4) teaching evaluations from the last three years of employment (if available) to email@example.com by 31 January 2017. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Economics Faculty Member” and indicate how you heard about us.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information about UCA’s academic programmes please visit
Review other job vacancies at: http://www.ucentralasia.org/About/CurrentVacancies