Senior Network Architect
The Senior Network Architect will be the Institute’s most senior network technical advisor and will report to the Director of Voice and Data Networks within IMSS.
This position is responsible for setting and managing the implementation of the overall network strategy for the Institute, encompassing research, academic, and administrative needs.
Goals include: managing and directing resources to compile complete documentation of existing network resources; upgrade to campus core routers to deliver 10Gb to any location in the near term and 40Gb to 100Gb capability as required; designing and managing the implementation of a Science DMZ optimized for big-data science.
Responsibilities include working with faculty, vendors, and IT staff to design and specify networking components, configuration, and software to improve the Institute’s network to meet anticipated needs in academic, research and business areas.
The Senior Network Architect is a liaison to faculty and their research groups, as well as to Internet 2, CENIC, Los Nettos, and the Pacific Research Platform (PRP).
The selected individual will work both on teams and independently.
• Design and manage the implementation of an upgrade to the campus core network to deliver 10Gb to any location in the near term and 40Gb to 100Gb capability as required.
• Conduct ongoing technical assessments of the campus network to identify and prioritize areas for improvement.
• Design and manage the implementation of a Science DMZ to support data-driven science applications and research.
• Work with faculty, vendors, and IT staff to design and specify networking components, configuration, and software to improve the Institute’s network to meet anticipated needs in academic, research and business areas.
• Act as a liaison to faculty and their research groups.
• Evaluate alternative technologies and architectures in relation to Caltech’s academic, research and administrative needs.
• Write NSF or other agency grant proposals to further campus research networking.
• Participate in research and education collaboration initiatives such as CENIC, Los Nettos, Pacific Research Platform, ESnet, Pacific Wave and Internet2.
• Engage in community activities focused on federated network measurements and network tuning (e.g., perfSONAR), federated identity management and certificates (e.g., InCommon) and SDN compatibility testing (e.g., InCNTRE).
• Be able to provide off-hour consultative support and subject matter expertise during emergency situations and other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or Network Engineering or a related field and 7 years of work experience in a combination of designing, configuring, installing, testing, or supporting local and wide area TCP/IP networks (to include switches, routers, and firewalls).
• Technical knowledge of products from Cisco, Brocade, Aruba, InfoBlox, and the open source community (e.g. PerfSonar/iperf, BIND)
• Expert understanding of networking technologies in designing resilient, scalable, high performing enterprise networks that incorporate IPv6, security, multicast, QoS, macro and micro segmentation, automation, programmability and other technologies as appropriate.
• Superior knowledge, skills and experience with Cisco routing hardware, software and protocols.
• Strong experience with network protocols, SDN, OpenFlow, and programming languages such as Python.
• Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of LAN/WAN and WLAN support and engineering design.
• Deep understanding of data center and virtualization technologies including but not limited to VxLAN, OTV, ACI, NSX, storage networking.
• Aptitude for learning and sharing knowledge, including an interest in working with students, postdocs, and faculty on experimental networking projects.
• Ability to apply complex design principles and methodology to ensure cost-effective and optimal use of resources and technology without jeopardizing network integrity.
• Ability to evaluate alternative technologies and architectures in relation to Caltech’s academic, research and administrative needs.
• Experience in designing and implementing a Science DMZ to support data-driven science applications and research.
• Successful participation in research and education collaboration initiatives such as CENIC, Los Nettos, PRP, ESnet, Pacific Wave and Internet2.
• Must have a detailed and demonstrable understanding of data networks and protocols, including, but not limited to, TCP/IP, IPv4, IPv6, QoS, MPLS, MBGP, OSPF, EIGRP, IS-IS, RSTP, MST, IPSec, VPN, and NetFlow/IPFIX.
• Experience engaging in community activities focused on federated network measurements and network tuning (e.g., perfSONAR), federated identity management and certificates (e.g., InCommon) and SDN compatibility testing (e.g., InCNTRE).
• Demonstrated expertise in network assessment, design, and documentation, along with network management platforms (e.g. SNMPv1/2c/3, RANCID, Statseeker) and identity repository and policy engines (e.g. ClearPass, Cisco Identity Services Engine).
• Proficiency with network analytic tools.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated success in securing NSF or other agency grant funding to further campus research networking.
• Ability to respond promptly and professionally to customer requests.
• Demonstrated successes working in a collaborative environment as well as independently.
• Demonstrated success in managing a technical team project.
• Ability to manage multiple strategic objectives simultaneously.
• Must be able to work under pressure and time constraints
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse user base having varied levels of technical proficiencies.
• Strong working knowledge of structured cabling systems, network facilities, electrical, UPS, etc.
• Some travel may be required.
• Advanced degree in a related field.
• Vendor certification including Cisco CCIE.
• Experience with specific technologies including:
o Current and emerging networking architectures
o Software Defined Networking
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 02/08/2016
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.