Faculty and Postdoctoral Scholar Specialist, Human Resources
Reporting to the Director of Staff and Scholar Services, this position will be responsible for providing administrative services to the Institute’s Non-Professorial Faculty (visiting faculty, lecturers, instructors, coaches) Postdoctoral Scholars and Visitors. Execute transactions associated with appointments; solve issues that arise concerning benefits, reappointments, and terminations. Provide policy and procedure support and interpretation to Caltech customers, both internally and externally. Establish and document processes and procedures, generate reports, provide guidance to campus as necessary.
- Administer all aspects of appointments/re-appointments for
Non-Professorial Faculty and Postdoctoral Scholars. Ensure complete and accurate production of all terms and condition letters; conduct employee orientation; establish, document, and maintain processes and procedures to insure timely processing of all payroll, benefits and records forms; update employee records utilizing multiple database systems.
- Develop and produce various letters regarding new appointments, re-appointments, leave of absence, salary changes, title changes and promotions.
- Interpret and apply Institute policies and procedures, recommend improvements and/or revisions to procedures and processes; ensure compliance with policies/procedures in regards to the terms of appointments, salary, visa requirements, PhD requirements and funding issues.
- Prepare and conduct individual initial check-in including information regarding Institute benefits and appropriate tax forms.
- Act as a liaison with other Human Resources functional units.
- Consult with academic division personnel on matters related to policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Provide on-going assistance to current Non-Professorial Faculty and Postdoctoral Scholars throughout the course of their appointment as requested.
- Generate appropriate tax forms for foreign national Non-Professorial Faculty and Postdoctoral Scholars utilizing Windstar software.
- Solve complex problems and escalate issues when needed for effective resolution.
- Create reports, using Cognos, and other systems as requested and needed.
- Generate verification of employment letters.
- Update and make changes to the Caltech Catalog and Directory regarding Academic Officers and Faculty listings; develop and proofread report to the Publications department; verify accuracy and completeness of all data.
- Track expiration dates on appointment periods; work closely with Academic Divisions to insure proactive effort to resolve pending issues.
- Participate in testing and enhancements to the Oracle system for upgrades and changes to existing letters and contracts.
- Provide back up support to front desk.
- Other duties as required and assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with 5 years of administrative experience with progressively increased job responsibilities.
- A self-starter with excellent customer service, organizational, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment.
- Willingness to work with individuals for whom English is not the first language.
- Experience with various software applications, including word processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail and the web.
- Must possess the ability to work effectively with large volumes of work while maintaining accuracy.
- Must have good judgment and ability to maintain the highest confidentiality.
- Must be able to quickly analyze issues, provide feedback and provide direction and guidance to others.
- Employee Records and/or HR office experience with exposure to data reporting and analysis.
- Caltech experience or higher education experience preferred.
- Experience with Windstar software.
- Working knowledge of institute policies and procedures.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 11/14/2016
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled No
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.