Head of Department, English Language Preparatory Program
Applications are invited for an exciting opportunity as Head of Department – English Language Preparatory Program (Ref. No. TAHEHOD)at James Cook University, Singapore (JCUS). The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, live in a fascinating and exciting city and to contribute to the development of education in Singapore and the region more generally.
Established in 2003, James Cook University Singapore offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs from James Cook University Australia. James Cook University Australia is recognized internationally as a leading research university and is ranked among the top 2% universities in the world for academic and research (ARWU ranking). James Cook University focuses on providing high quality education that is both rewarding and fulfilling for students.
The campus is growing and very friendly and academic staff across the disciplines and administrative staff often interact. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region.
Head of Department – English Language Preparatory Program (ELPP)
The Head of Department (HoD) ELPP provides academic leadership to the English department, in particular the English Language Preparatory Program, which enables international students who do not meet minimum English language requirements to develop their English skills to the level where they can succeed on a tertiary program at JCU.The HoD manages the English department, a team of full-time and sessional staff who teach into this program and other language based subjects, and ensures that all provision meets strict internal and external quality standards.
- Ensure that the ELPP complies with both JCUS policies and NEAS Quality standards and entry requirements
- Manage requirements for QA, accreditation programs and program improvement
- Develop and maintain a robust quality assurance system in-line with TEQSA requirements
- Manage day to day operations, supervise marking, moderation & approval of exam results and teach into the program. Collate and maintain student academic data
- Provide academic advice to students and collaborate with Learning Support to provide appropriate support to ELPP students
- Ensure adequate progression of the students on the ELPP
- Supervise the review and development of the ELPP program
- Conduct benchmarking activities with external partners
- Manage class, teaching allocations, resources & teach into the program
- Manage a team of full-time and sessional staff; including recruitment, performance management, student feedback and Peer Review of Teaching
- Develop and maintain Continuing Professional Development Program for ELPP teaching staff
- Provide professional service including assist with marketing and recruitment activities orientations, compliance, etc
Key Selection Criteria
- Experience as Head of Department or in a similar position
- Degree in any discipline PLUS
Post Graduate Diploma in TESOL or equivalent
- 5 years’ TESOL experience
- Experience of working in tertiary education
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to work independently
- Attention to detail
- High level organisational and planning skills
Enquiries: Mr Matthew Thurston, HOD ELPP; firstname.lastname@example.org; +65 67093770
Employment type: Fulltime continuing position subject to Ministry of Manpower Singapore jurisdiction and a probationary period
Remuneration and conditions: An attractive package will be negotiated with the successful applicant (including relocation expenses and initial accommodation costs) commensurate with qualifications and experience. Candidates should note the relatively lower taxation rates in Singapore and the possibility of an annual wage supplement equal to a month’s salary at the end of the calendar year.
Method of Application
If you have the appropriate qualifications and proven experience to deliver successfully on the above responsibilities, we invite you to send in your application in confidence to the Director, Human Resources, at the following email address: email@example.com Please state the position you are applying for in subject header. Applications should include a cover letter addressing the selection criteria for the position.
Closing Date: 4 December 2016
We thank you for your interest and regret we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right to invite applications or, alternatively, not to make an appointment.
The Singapore campus of James Cook University (registered as James Cook University Pte Ltd in Singapore) is a wholly owned company of James Cook University Australia. The University offers Bachelor & Master Programs in Business, Psychology, Information Technology & Education at the Singapore campus of James Cook University.