Senior Research Scientist in Physics
This staff position is for a research scientist with advanced expertise in the physics, fabrication, and characterization of nanoscale opto-electro-mechanical devices. The position also requires someone who is interested in exploring applications of device research carried out in the Painter Lab.
- Perform research into the development of nanoscale optical, mechanical, and electrical devices. In particular as it pertains to integrated photonic devices, optomechanical inertial sensors, superconducting optical detectors, and integrated atomic-photonic systems.
- Design and fabrication of optical couplers for coupling light between different optical layers and structures in an integrated photonic chip.
- Help upgrade and maintain the Painter Lab fabrication facilities.
- Perform microwave, optical, and mechanical design using analytical and numerical tools such as COMSOL and SONNET.
- Write papers detailing research results.
- Mentor students on proper scientific methods.
- Train students in the fabrication and measurement of devices.
- Other job duties as assigned.
- PhD or equivalent in Physics or Applied Physics, with extensive experience in the design, fabrication, and characterization of optical and mechanical structures.
- Expertise in the fabrication of nanomembrane devices in the silicon and silicon nitride material system.
- Expertise in the fabrication of nanoscale optical and mechanical devices in the SOI material system.
- Expertise in the optical testing of optical and optomechanical devices.
- Attention to detail, excellent problem-solving and debugging skills.
- Ability to work independently, with very minimal supervision. A high level of responsibility and organization.
- Teamwork skills and an ability to collaborate with coworkers having diverse skills and backgrounds.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants