Lecturer in Philosophy
| REF: 496829 |
FACULTY OF ARTS - SCHOOL OF HUMANITIES
- 3-year appointment commencing June 2017
- Salary range: Level B $93,182 – $110,654 (or fractional equivalent)
The University of Western Australia (UWA), a member of the prestigious Group of Eight research-intensive universities, is ranked amongst the top Australian universities and among the top 100 universities in the world.
The Discipline of Philosophy, School of Humanities offers postgraduate and undergraduate programs in analytic philosophy broadly construed. The Discipline of Philosophy is committed to developing research and teaching collaborations with other disciplines both within the School of Humanities and across the University.
Area of Specialisation: Metaphysics
Area of Competence: Philosophy of Language, Philosophy of Science, History of Philosophy
The discipline of Philosophy at The University of Western Australia seeks applicants for a position at the Assistant Professor level in the area of metaphysics, broadly construed. We are particularly interested in candidates who can make some contribution to research in the philosophy of time and/or artificial intelligence. In addition, the candidate should be able to teach in the philosophy of language and philosophy of science. An ability to teach some of the history of philosophy is also desirable.
The successful candidate must hold a PhD in Philosophy by the closing date for applications. They will also have a strong record of research in metaphysics, will be committed to high quality and innovative teaching and will demonstrate a willingness to work in a small but vibrant collegial environment. The successful candidate should be open to opportunities for intra- and inter-disciplinary collaboration.
Further information about Philosophy at the University can be found at http://www.humanities.uwa.edu.au/home/philosophy.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD in Philosophy. Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in Metaphysics, and whose research expertise falls within one of the strategic research initiatives of the School of Humanities.
- Ability to develop, coordinate and teach undergraduate units in Philosophy.
- Ability to attract research funding and build research collaboration.
- Ability to supervise Honours and Postgraduate Students.
- Commitment to pursue the best educational practices and to implement institutional goals.
- Ability to relate well to staff and students at all levels and evidence of a commitment to equity and diversity principles.
Benefits include 17% superannuation, generous leave provisions, and fares to Perth (if applicable) for appointee and dependents, along with a removal allowance. These and other benefits will be specified in the offer of employment.
Closing date: Monday 12 December 2016
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button. Applicants with teaching experience are requested to submit a teaching portfolio as part of their application.
Please see the position description prior to applying: 315245.pdf
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.