Designer-Draughtsman in the Engineering Department (EN), Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE), Integration Section (INT).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities;
- The Alignment Coordination and Engineering Group (ACE) which provides project coordination for the accelerator complex, including layout management, integration, scheduling, work and safety coordination as well as metrology and alignment services. The group further provides development and support for the Organization's engineering data, maintenance management tools and CAD systems;
- The Integration Section (INT), responsible for the 3D integration studies of all the installations necessary for the operation of a particle accelerator.
As a Designer-Draughtsman in the Integration Office, you will:
- Study the integration of mechanical systems, components and services for CERN accelerator complex, using CATIA V5 as a main Computer-aided design tool;
- Prepare drawings for technical documentation, in compliance with relevant drafting standards and current quality assurance plan;
- Follow up on various possible machine configurations, while keeping track of the various components to be installed and removed in accordance with space allocations;
- Develop and propose new integration solutions making the most efficient use of space in underground civil works installations;
- Support project management in the comparison and evaluation of different options for technical-system layouts.
Higher technical diploma in the field of in mechanics, or equivalent.*
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications: In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Relevant experience of mechanical integration in a mechanical, aeronautical, or civil engineering design office;
- An experience with service integration (electricity, Cooling and Ventilation) would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Mechanical systems integration: analysis of integration issues, drafting space occupation plans, also taking into account evolution over time;
- Design of mechanical systems: preferably hands-on knowledge of Dassault Systèmes Catia V5 CAD package.
- 3D & 2D technical drawing: preparation of 3D models and 2D technical drawings in compliance with relevant standards for dimensioning and tolerancing: ISO GPS;
- Mechanical analysis & modelling: analysis and solving of basic mechanical engineering problems using strength of materials and materials selection principles;
- Information management: drafting technical reports and preparing technical documentation.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships;
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting;
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind;
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point;
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 11.12.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.