Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Education
Applications are invited for an exciting opportunity as Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (Education)at James Cook University, Singapore(JCUS). The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, live in a fascinating and exciting city and to contribute to the development of education in Singapore and the region more generally.
Established in 2003, James Cook University Singapore offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs from James Cook University Australia. James Cook University Australia is recognized internationally as a leading research university and is ranked among the top 2% universities in the world for academic and research (ARWU ranking). James Cook University focuses on providing high quality education that is both rewarding and fulfilling for students. The continuing success of our Education programs (including Bachelor or Education, Master of Education and Master of Guidance and Counselling) and the increasing demand for graduates we are seeking a suitable candidate for the position of Lecturer/Senior Lecturer*.
*The level of the position offered will be determined by the interview panel.
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (Education)
The appointee will be an experienced academic/faculty member and will be responsible for teaching and supervision in undergraduate andpostgraduate courses in Guidance and Counselling and Education. Applications are invited from candidates with a significant background in school guidance, school psychology and/or school counselling. An interest and demonstrated background in atypical development, assessment and counselling practice would also be advantageous. Experience in a school setting is highly desirable. Eligibility for membership of the Australian Guidance and Counselling Association is also desirable.
The campus is growing and very friendly and academic staff across the disciplines and administrative staff often interact. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region.
- A leadership role in curriculum development and teaching with an emphasis on school counselling
- Develop and maintain an active research program and a high level of professional activities
- Subject preparation, teaching,and administration
- Supervision of postgraduate research projects
- Report to and communicate with coordinator of subjects
- Provide academic advice to students as and when required
- Facilitate and monitor practicum placement for students
- Build and sustain partnerships in the community for JCUS practicum placements
- Ensure all operations accord with established JCUS procedures, policies and established practices.
- Involvement in marketing activities that occur from time to time
- Support with the MGC alumni network
- Other duties as determined from time to time by JCUS management
Key Selection Criteria
- Current member of Singapore Association for Counselling (or equivalent association)
- Evidence of quality teaching and supervision of students at postgraduate levels
- The ability to teach across a range of subjects at postgraduate levels
- Experience in counselling, including career development counselling
- A substantial publication record relative to career stage
- Success in obtaining research funding
- Proven track record with counselling practicum supervision
- Understanding of contemporary issues in guidance and counselling
- Excellent management skills and demonstrated capacity to undertake administrative duties consistent with the postgraduate programs' growth and development
- Proven excellent time management, problem solving and computer skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a teamenvironment
Desirable Selection Criteria
- Understanding of practicum concept in Guidance and Counselling
- Ability to forge strong collaborative links with practicum supervisors and contribute to the growth of the profession in the region;
- Demonstrated track record in high quality research in an area relevant to guidance and counselling
Enquiries: Dr Denise Dillon, Head of Academic Group – Psychology & Education at email@example.com
Telephone number: +65 67093730
Employment type: Fulltime continuing position subject to Ministry of Manpower Singapore jurisdiction and a probationary period
Remuneration and conditions: An attractive package will be negotiated with the successful applicant (including relocation expenses and initial accommodation costs) commensurate with qualifications and experience. Candidates should note the relatively lower taxation rates in Singapore and the possibility of an annual wage supplement equal to a month’s salary at the end of the calendar year.
Method of Application
Applications should provide all of the following:
- an up-to-date CV including research record
- a full statement of qualifications
- a statement systematically addressing the Selection Criteria
- a teaching profile and recent teaching evaluations
- a completed Summary Application Form
- Please state the position and reference number you are applying for in subject header and send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 4 December 2016
We thank you for your interest and regret we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right to invite applications or, alternatively, not to make an appointment.
The Singapore campus of James Cook University (registered as James Cook University Pte Ltd in Singapore) is a wholly owned company of James Cook University Australia. The University offers Bachelor & Master Programs in Business, Psychology, Information Technology & Education at the Singapore campus of James Cook University.