Assistant Research Technician
This position is for a research assistant to assist a senior postdoc with a research project. The project concerns the functions of a network of interacting Drosophila neuronal cell surface proteins, the Dprs and DIPs. The experiments combine fly genetics, visualization of structures in the fly brain using antibodies and fluorescent probes, molecular biology, and functional imaging of neuronal activity.
- Performing Drosophila genetic experiments, including fly crosses and stock maintenance.
- Dissecting adult, pupal, and larval Drosophila brains and staining them with antibodies.
- Using confocal microscopy to visualize structures in the brain.
- Making plasmid constructs containing Drosophila genes of interest.
- Performing experiments in which neuronal activity is monitored in intact flies using genetically encoded calcium indicators.
- Assisting with general lab maintenance and production of common stocks, including Drosophila embryo collection plates, bacterial plates, and solutions.
*Other duties as assigned
- BS degree in Biology or Chemistry
- Previous experience working in a molecular biology or genetics laboratory
- MS in a Biology or health-related area.
- A desire to pursue a PhD in Biology or Bio-Engineering.
- Previous experience with Drosophila.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants