Teaching Fellow/Instructor in Biology
DEPARTMENT: Nazarbayev University Foundation Year Program (NUFYP)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Coordinator in relevant specialist area
SALARY IN THE RANGE: Internationally Competitive
REFERENCE NUMBER: NUFYPTF16/17
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
About the job
Nazarbayev University Foundation Year Program (NUFYP) is currently seeking qualified instructors in the areas of English (EAP), Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Social Science. NUFYP is an integrated, foundation year that prepares students for study in Nazarbayev University’s three undergraduate schools: School of Engineering, School of Science and Technology, and School of Humanities and Social Sciences. In NUFYP, students study a general curriculum before focusing on a specific subject track, and they develop academic study skills as they begin integrating into an academic, English medium environment. NUFYP accepted over 700 students for the 2016-2017 academic year maintaining a minimum IELTS entry level score of 6.0.
As a NUFYP Teaching Fellow, you will have 16-18 contact hours per week. You will be part of a team responsible for the planning, delivery, evaluation, and assessment of your subject area under the supervision of a subject Coordinator and following the NUFYP curriculum.
Located in Astana, Nazarbayev University is a new Western-style, English-language institution, created with the support of leading universities around the world, such as: Cambridge University, Duke University, National University of Singapore, University College London, University of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Wisconsin-Madison. Nazarbayev University aspires to become a world-class research-based university and provide the highest quality education in Kazakhstan and Central Asia.
The new capital of Kazakhstan, described as "brash and grandiose, and wildly attractive" by National Geographic, and "the futuristic frontier of architecture" by the Guardian. Astana has been chosen as the venue to host the International Exposition EXPO-2017. Rich in natural resources, Kazakhstan has experienced extraordinary economic growth since its independence from the Soviet Union two decades ago. The World Bank has also ranked Kazakhstan as one of the world's 20 top locations for direct foreign investment.
Successful Candidates must have the knowledge, skills, experience, and qualifications required to effectively teach and work within an intensive, high calibre preparatory program.
- Master’s degree in an appropriate subject area (e.g., ESL/EAP, Applied linguistics, Physics, etc.)
- Competent to teach a range of topics within your subject area and general topics in related fields
- Evidence of a strong work ethic and professionalism
- Desire to invest in Kazakhstani educational development
- Demonstrates enthusiasm and teaching excellence
- Ability to teach independently, but work together as part of a team to deliver a unified curriculum
- Flexible—ability to handle ambiguity and work in a developing program
- Effective/professional communicator with good interpersonal skills
- Postgraduate teaching qualifications for the secondary/tertiary sector
- Experience working with international students at either the secondary and tertiary levels
- Experience in one-on-one tutorials or student mentoring
- Awareness of the educational needs of Kazakh students in a pre-degree environment
- Experience working internationally in foundation programs
What We Offer
- Internationally competitive salary
- Expatriate benefits (rent-free accommodations, home travel twice a year, insurance, child education allowance, etc.)
To Apply Please Submit
- A one to two page cover letter outlining your relevant teaching experience and the context, and why you are interested in applying to NUFYP
- A current Curriculum Vitae (maximum 3 pages)
- The attached application form
- Contact information for at least two referees who can address your teaching abilities, and contact information of your current/most recent supervisor. (Reference letters will be required if you are short listed; your current supervisor will not be contacted unless you authorize it.)
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. If you are shortlisted, the referees will be asked to send the letters of recommendation directly to NUFYP by e-mail. The subject line of the e-mail should specify the name of the candidate, e.g., "Letter of recommendation for (Your Name).”
Nazarbayev University is an equal opportunity employer.
For any questions please contact Mr. Beibit Askaruly (email@example.com).