This position will support the Ondrus Research Group in the Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at the California Institute of Technology.
We are seeking highly organized, focused individuals to coordinate operations in a lab at the interface of chemistry and human health. The Laboratory Manager will report directly to Professor Ondrus and will oversee and coordinate general laboratory operations and carry out independent research. The position is for two years with the possibility of an extension.
1. Serves as laboratory safety officer.
2. Writes and maintains safety protocols. Coordinates animal use protocols with the IACUC. Maintains, updates and supervises compliance with biosafety and animal use protocols.
3. Assists with the streamlining of data organization and support various aspects of day-to-day research.
4. Assisting with one or more primary research projects, involving techniques such as:
- Periodic testing of tissue culture areas and cell lines for contaminants.
- Preparing/aliquoting basic lab reagents (buffers, bacterial plates, etc.).
5. Assisting with general laboratory activities by (for example):
- Ordering laboratory supplies and consumables
- Maintaining up-to-date sample repositories (cell lines, plasmids, etc.)
- Maintaining an up-to-date inventory of reagents (chemicals, enzymes, kits)
- Archiving instrument data and laboratory notebooks
- Monitoring and maintaining general lab equipment (centrifuges, balances)
- Monitoring and maintaining specialized laboratory instruments (HPLC, microplate readers, etc.)
- Monitoring gas supplies, refrigerators, dry ice, incubator levels
- Maintaining service contracts for instruments and software
- Coordinating calibration of pipettes and balances
- Maintaining a financial accounting of laboratory reagent purchases
- Organizing the maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Organizing the laboratory’s biological reagents
- Organizing laboratory events (e.g. lab meetings, outings)
- Other duties as assigned
• A BS in the biomedical or natural sciences.
• A minimum of 3 years laboratory experience.
• Must be comfortable managing software for electronic inventory, instrument, and notebook management, notebooks, and cloud-based data storage.
• Creative individual with a passion for organization who shares our commitment to excellence.
• MS in the biomedical or natural sciences.
• Experience with basic molecular biology.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 10/31/2016
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled No
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.