Website Developer or Designer
Description of Work Unit
The Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA) at Colorado State University (CSU) is a multi-million dollar research organization located on CSU’s Foothills Campus in Fort Collins, Colorado. CIRA is a cooperative institute (CI) that is also a research department within CSU’s College of Engineering, in partnership with the Department of Atmospheric Science. Its vision is to conduct interdisciplinary research in the atmospheric sciences by entraining skills beyond the meteorological disciplines, exploiting advances in engineering and computer science, facilitating transitional activity between pure and applied research, leveraging both national and international resources and partnerships, and assisting the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), CSU, the State of Colorado, and the Nation through the application of our research to areas of societal benefit. Expanding on this Vision, our Mission is to serve as a nexus for multi-disciplinary cooperation among CI and NOAA research scientists, University faculty, staff and students in the context of NOAA-specified research theme areas in satellite applications for weather/climate forecasting. Important bridging elements of the CI include the communication of research findings to the international scientific community, transition of applications and capabilities to NOAA operational users, education and training programs for operational user proficiency, outreach programs to K-12 education and the general public for environmental literacy, and understanding and quantifying the societal impacts of NOAA research.
This part-time, hourly position is designed for an experienced professional to serve as CIRA’s website developer and designer. The individual in this position will report to the CIRA Assistant Director and never will work more than 19 hours per week. Initially he/she will collaborate with key CIRA personnel and revamp CIRA’s website or develop it from scratch, working up to 19 hours/week. Upon commencement of the website overhaul, responsibilities will shift toward maintenance and revision so as to ensure that web content is fresh and links/tools work properly. At that time, hours likely will decrease and may become sporadic, based upon projects need to be served. The individual in this position also will train internal stakeholders to update content for individual profiles.
Required Job Qualifications
• Strong portfolio of web design;
• Expertise in WordPress or Drupal or equivalent content management system where fast production and transferability is key;
• Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud;.
• Strong team skills to be able to deploy suggestions from CIRA management/administration;
• Exceptional communication skills;
• Ability to work independently and complete web modules in timely fashion.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Experience with implementation of Shibboleth solutions for user management on website.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Preliminary Outlay of Process/Goals/Objectives Duty/Responsibility
• Conduct initial meetings with the Education and Outreach Coordinator, management personnel, administration team members and/or research personnel to understand the desired function and use of the website or subsequent updates;
• Recommend alternatives to accomplish the results and what issues or problems could be encountered during the work;
• Provide an estimate of the time required to accomplish the assignment.
Percentage Of Time 20 Job Duty Category Design and Programming Duty/Responsibility
• Create a template of how the final product would look;
• Discuss template with requestor(s) if additional issues are unresolved;
• Collect data/links/images for input and initiate design;
• Complete required updates.
Percentage Of Time 50 Job Duty Category Website Maintenance Duty/Responsibility
• Respond to help desk tickets in a timely manner;
• Train personnel to add content to the website;
• In collaboration with CSU personnel, implement CSU eID login for staff edits;
• Work with CIRA and CSU infrastructure teams to maintain integrity of site;
• Recommend updates as needed;
• Shepherd content management for website (developing code to link with social media content, news articles, etc.).
Percentage Of Time 30
Special Instructions to Applicants
In your cover letter, please specifically address the required and preferred qualifications of this position. While it is not anticipated that any given applicant will satisfy 100% of the preferred qualifications, presenting your relevant experience/expertise via clearly articulated examples will be of great benefit to the search committee. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
NOTE: This is a part-time position that offers no benefits.
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.