Fixed Asset Accountant
This position is responsible for accounting for the fixed asset accounts of the Institute, including recording and reviewing related activity, maintenance of general ledger, grants management and fixed asset module reconciliations, and related reporting.
- Ensures accurate recording of transactions in accounting systems, including general ledger journal entries and cost transfers, for activity such as asset acquisitions, capitalized interest, capital leases and the funding of capital expenditures.
- Performs periodic account reconciliations and analysis of the fixed asset accounts. Independently identifies, investigates and resolves variances, often working with multiple Institute teams.
- Prepares periodic reports and related analysis for internal and external customers, and external financial audits.
- Performs research and analysis as well as ad hoc reporting and makes recommendations for appropriate resulting actions.
- Provides a high level of customer service to internal and external customers, often answering inquiries and providing independent analysis and financial reports to the Controller, the Budget Director, the Finance Director-Campus Planning, and the external financial audit team.
- Researches and prepares US Census surveys of capital expenditures.
- Prepares complex financial schedules to track funding of capital building and land improvement projects.
- Creates and maintains procedure documentation.
- Performs other special projects or tasks as assigned.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent with at least 2 years of experience in Accounting.
- Solid knowledge of accounting principles.
- Excellent organizational and follow up skills, oral and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Analytical, detail-oriented and thorough worker.
- Ability to work with a high degree of detail and able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines, while providing an accurate work product.
- Highly motivated, self-starter is required, with high level problem solving skills.
- Ability to understand business processes, and identify and create improvements toward greater effectiveness and efficiency.
- Ability to learn and apply available tools and procedures.
- Ability to document procedures.
- Flexibility in dealing with changes in approach and/or deliverables.
- Experience with MS Office programs, particularly Excel, and understanding of accounting systems is essential.
- Experience with Oracle and Cognos.
- Experience with Excel pivot tables and advanced functions is highly desired.
- Previous experience in fixed asset accounting.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 10/31/2016
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.