Research and Innovation Division
Job Ref No: 3171
About the organisation
The Research and Innovation Division promotes and enhances the University's strong and vibrant research culture by attracting, training and supporting researchers and industry partners to solve real-world problems. Research and Innovation Services supports the University's research performance and profile by efficient and effective research administration and the provision of high level administrative and infrastructure research support activities.
The Research Infrastructure portfolio incorporates the Animal Services Unit and the Central Scientific Laboratories, both integral components of Research and Innovation Services.
The Animal Services Unit facilitates the housing and management of animals and provides quality care and technical support to ensure all services align with the University's and legislative requirements, policies and objectives. The Central Scientific Laboratories provide specialised technical support, expert advice and training to students, academics and industry partners in the operation of core scientific equipment, sample preparation and analysis
About the role
The Administration Officer provides high level administrative and logistical support to the Associate Director, Research Infrastructure and the wider Research Infrastructure Team, located at various locations between the University Callaghan Campus, HMRI and the John Hunter Hospital Campus. Key responsibilities include:
- diary management, planning, travel management, database administration, purchasing and expense administration and contribute and oversee project work and process improvements;
- providing advice and guidance to colleagues and stakeholders relating to relevant government and university policies, procedures and guidelines;
- provide secretarial and office management assistance; and
- service internal and external meetings.
Skills and experience
To be successful in this position you will have:
- Completion of a degree without subsequent relevant experience; diploma, or Certificate IV, and demonstrated experience providing professional support to a senior leader; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Ability to make sound decisions and provide advice to inform decision making of senior managers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated experience in drafting correspondence, preparing reports and presentations for both internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on competing priorities and manage issues to plan and on time.
- Demonstrated capacity to work flexibly, independently and as an effective team member to deliver a high level of customer service.
- Knowledge of, and experience in adhering to workplace policies and procedures in the areas of work health safety, equity, diversity and promoting a respectful workplace culture.
Please note: In accordance with the University's Staff Selection Guidelines, your application will be assessed on the selection criteria found at the link below. It is essential that you address each of the criteria to enable the selection committee to properly assess your application and suitability for interview.
HEW 5 - $63,943 to $74,175 per annum,plus contributory superannuation with Unisuper, attracting a generous employer contribution of 17%.
Applications close: Tuesday, 1 November 2016.
For more information about the position including selection criteria please click the 'Apply for this job' button below or go to
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE
VALUES EQUITY AND DIVERSITY