The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) seeks a highly motivated and skilled Systems Developer or Scientific Programmer to join its team. LIGO is a National Science Foundation sponsored project operated by the California Institute of Technology and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It recently announced the achievement of its mission goal – the successful observation of gravitational waves from space. In addition to research and development sites on the Caltech and MIT campuses, LIGO consists of two widely separated 4 kilometer interferometers operated in unison – one in Livingston, Louisiana and one in Hanford, Washington. R&D efforts continue in parallel to further enhance the capabilities of the LIGO observatories. For more information, visit the project website at http:www.ligo.caltech.edu.
This position can be filled at any of the LIGO sites in Pasadena, California, Richland, Washington, or Livingston, Louisiana.
Please note, the position is a 2 year term position including a competitive compensation package and excellent benefits.
Responsibilities will include performance optimization and systems development of LIGO’s large-scale distributed computing, from cluster/cloud infrastructure to data-intensive scientific workflows.
This position will be responsible for helping to define the vision, design, implementation, and use of the systems you develop. This position will be an integral part of both our local and international group, with a role in the broader efforts outside Caltech.
Other duties as assigned.
• The candidate must be proficient in at least one high-level scripting language, C/C++, and Unix operating systems.
• Must have excellent English language written and oral communication skills.
• Must have strong teamwork skills and an ability to collaborate with coworkers having diverse skills and backgrounds in a geographically distributed organization.
• Must be able to occasionally travel to conferences or meetings.
• A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience with scientific computing, distributed/grid/cloud computing, code optimization, scientific workflow.
• management, or automated testing are pluses.
• Experience in an academic research. environment is highly desirable.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 10/17/2016
Posting Close Date Open
Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.