Director of Accountancy Programmes
Director of Accountancy Programmes, BPP University Business School
Some national and international travel required.
Full time, permanent
A senior leadership and management role in the School and University contributing to the success of the Business School.
The Director of Programmes provides commercial, academic and team leadership for a business unit comprising - £11m revenue, 5 programmes, >2500 students.
The role will have both an internal and external focus.
Commercial Management and Development
• Identify and evaluate new business opportunities
• Work with marketing, the international office and business development to maximise revenue opportunities
• Develop and maintain relationships with clients and professional bodies
• Provide overall academic leadership of a programme range with the aim of maintaining the highest possible standards in learning, teaching and assessment
• Contribute to the process of academic policy and planning for the school.
• Maintain and enhance the programme design, delivery and assessment practices.
• Fulfilling the university’s responsibilities in respect of student admissions, instruction, progression and examination; availability of pastoral assistance and adherence to the various regulations regarding students.
• Develop and monitor appropriate quality assurance and enhancement mechanisms.
• Ensure that statutory requirements are met and that university’s policies, systems and procedures are observed and applied.
• Ensure that the programme range meets the standards set by relevant professional bodies and University regulators.
• Network into the national HE sector and relevant practitioner community
• Undertake suitable personal scholarship and teaching activities for the school in line with University strategy.
Team Leadership / People Management
• Line management with an expectation to set objectives and MITs, provide day to day support, and conduct appraisals and performance management sessions.
Planning and Organisation
• Contribute to the development and implementation of the strategy for the accounting programme range and school.
• Translate strategic goals into operational plans in the team.
• Establish and lead a management team to implement the operational plan once approved.
• Identify, propose and plan for changes in the department’s requirements for resource allocation or reallocation arising from changing needs and plans.
• Lead the programme planning and budget setting process, involving others where appropriate.
Communications, internal and external relations
• Maintain and improve the reputation of the school for academic standards, professional and ethical behaviour.
• Develop and sustain appropriate structures for consultation, decision-making and effective two-way communication with stakeholders.
• Represent the school’s news and interests at University level and to external bodies where appropriate.
• Develop and promote effective communication processes between the department, students, staff and central support departments to ensure good information flow.
• To prepare reports for the Dean.
• Network into the HE and professional sectors to identify best practices and benchmark performance.
• Taking School wide responsibilities for delegated activities, liaison to central BPP functions, professional bodies, clients.
• To undertake ad hoc project work or any other required tasks for the Dean.
Skills, knowledge and experience required
• Degree qualified
• L7 Professional Qualification / Higher Degree
• Professional Membership of an Accounting Institute
• Programme design
• Client Engagement
• Teaching and Assessment
• Business Practitioner
• Change management
• Academic leadership
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Decision making
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Planning and organisational skills
• Personal Digital and Technology skills
• Finance and Business skills
• Leadership – set direction, inspire others to follow
• Project and change management
• Multi-tasking and prioritisation
• Proactive and self-motivated
• High standards
• Ability to relate to students and staff
For a full job description and details on how to apply, please visit: