Dean, Faculty of Science
Dean, Faculty of Science
THE UNIVERSITY OF WINNIPEG
Located in the heart of Treaty 1 Territory and the traditional homelands of the Métis Nation, The University of Winnipeg is a diverse, multicultural campus committed to academic excellence, community engagement, and social and environmental sustainability. With a faculty and staff of approximately 1,000 and more than 14,000 learners, The University of Winnipeg combines a strong tradition of outstanding scholarship in teaching, research, and creative work with a unique sense of engagement with its community partners.
The Faculty of Science is experiencing a renewal, with a new energy and excitement coming from the recent opening of the Richardson College for the Environment and Science Complex, our newest Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certified building which houses the Departments of Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Studies and Sciences, as well as the Biochemistry Program, and provides faculty, staff, and students access to state-of-the-art laboratories and technology. The Faculty is also home to the Departments of Anthropology, Applied Computer Science, Geography, Mathematics and Statistics, and Physics, and Programs in Bioanthropology and Biopsychology, each contributing to the Faculty's diverse array of Science undergraduate and graduate programs. The Faculty of Science supports some of the most accomplished and innovative faculty members in Canada.
The University of Winnipeg seeks a forward-thinking Dean to lead its Faculty of Science. Serving on the University's senior leadership team, the Dean contributes to institutional goals and priorities through leadership of the Faculty. Working with faculty, senior administration, and staff to foster excellence in teaching, research, and student success, the Dean also effectively represents the Faculty and the University to the external community.
Reporting to the Vice-President (Academic) and Provost, the Dean of Science works cooperatively with the Deans of Arts, Business and Economics, Education, Kinesiology, Graduate Studies, Collegiate and Library and with the broader university community, to advance the interests of the University. The Dean provides strong and effective leadership and guidance in all aspects of his/her Faculty’s operations, both academic and administrative. The Faculty is in a period of progression and development, and will be looking at ways of enhancing educational opportunities for our students to discover science in new and exciting ways and to expand scholarly work. The Faculty of Science is well-known for its strong commitment to the community and for the active role that faculty and staff members play to reach out to potential Science students of all ages.
The successful candidate will possess a distinguished academic record in a relevant area of teaching, research, and service. Strong operational administrative abilities and experience and demonstrated leadership qualities to lead and enrich the Faculty are essential. Fund-raising experience and the ability to work externally in areas such as community outreach and university advancement will be considered important assets.
The ideal candidate will:
- Hold an earned doctorate in a science-related discipline represented in the Faculty of Science;
- Have a strong record of achievement in teaching and research, demonstrated by student-focused outcomes;
- Have significant experience in academic administration in positions such as Department Head/Chair, Associate Dean, Director of an institute or equivalent, and/or experience in executive roles such as Dean or Vice-Provost;
- Have a reputation as a bold advocate with a demonstrated ability to build relationships with multiple stakeholders;
- Have contributed to a culture where excellence and innovation in teaching is valued and rewarded;
- Be a strong and clear communicator who has built trust through integrity, openness and transparency;
- Have demonstrated ability to lead change, inspire and engage faculty, students, staff, and administrators in strategic initiatives, and work across disciplines to achieve strategic objectives while demonstrating an understanding and commitment to the fundamental characteristics of a Faculty of Science;
- Display an ability to operate effectively within a shared-governance structure and cultivate an inclusive environment in which students, faculty and staff feel a shared sense of community;
- Possess organizational, administrative, and financial skills; and
- Demonstrate superior leadership, administration, coaching and mentoring skills with the ability to delegate effectively.
The University of Winnipeg provides an extensive pension and benefits package. For details please visit: http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/hr/benefits/index.html
To explore this exciting opportunity further, send your cover letter, resume and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (403) 410 – 6700 for more information.
The University of Winnipeg is an urban, primarily undergraduate university that appreciates, fosters and promotes values of human dignity, equality, non-discrimination and diversity. The University of Winnipeg is committed to employment equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of racialized communities, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, first preference must be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. However, all qualified individuals are invited to apply.
Apply for Dean, Faculty of Science
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly