Assistant Research Scientist
Classification Research Technician-Assistant Exempt/Overtime Eligible Overtime Eligible Position Information
Posting Number 16454SP Division/Department Geological and Planetary Sciences Laboratory Work Location (City, State or Country) Pasadena, Ca. Functional Title Assistant Research Scientist Job Category Fulltime Temporary If position is parttime, how many hours per week? If position is temporary, is it less than 3 months? No Benefits Eligible? Yes Relocation Available? No Emergency Reporting Designation? Essential Non-Reporting Number of Vacancies 1 Desired Employment Start Date 12/01/2016 Position End Date (if temporary) 05/30/2017 Anticipated Salary Range Job Summary
Carry out and conduct research on the geomorphic, stratigraphic, and mineralogic evolution of Mars. A member of the research team with the ability to effectively interact with and assist in training students.
• Conduct experiments to study and investigate scientific problems.
• Conduct literature research; provide scientific information for research reports, journals and/or articles; present research work at seminars and participates in lab discussions.
• Assist in analysis of rover data, including geomorphic, stratigraphic, and mineralogic datasets.
• Assist in geochemical analysis of terrestrial rock data.
• Conduct literature-based research.
• Maintain workstations in the research lab. Insure access for all individuals desiring to work with Mars surface data.
• Analyze and evaluate applicability of collected data; discuss and evaluate findings to interpret research results.
• Assist with initiating, writing, and/or submitting award proposals with Principal Investigator.
• Other experimental studies as required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Undergraduate degree in Geology.
• GIS and other digital data mapping and processing software, and HIRISE and MOC image manipulation.
• Experience in the evaluation of Mars Science Laboratory landing sites.
Supervisory position? No Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 10/14/2016 Posting Close Date 10/19/2016 Open Until Filled No EEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an undergraduate degree in Geology?
- * Do you have experiences with GIS and other digital data mapping and processing software, and HIRISE and MOC image manipulation?
Documents Needed to Apply Required Documents
- Cover Letter