Posting Detail Information
Working Title IT Technician Classification Title IT Technician Position Type State Classified Open Date 10/14/2016 Close Date 10/18/2016 Salary $3,434 monthly + Full Benefits Full/Part Time Full-time State Classified Hourly No Overtime Eligible Position Location Fort Collins, CO 80523 Description of Work Unit
Academic Computing and Networking Services (ACNS) provides specialized central computing support, distributed computing support and computer networking services to Colorado State University’s teaching, research and administrative communities.
This position exists to assist ACNS Network Operations Center (NOC) with cable management and in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and monitoring of a variety of network equipment.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with an associate’s degree AND one (1) year of experience working with network devices, cable layout management (i.e. copper & fiber infrastructure), and installing network switches, uninterruptible power supplies, wireless access points and wireless/wired testing tools.
Must have a valid driver’s license, the ability to obtain a driver’s license, or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date.
Unofficial Transcripts MUST be attached to application to verify education.
A combination of work experience in network devices, cable layout and management (i.e. copper and fiber infrastructure), and installing network switches, uninterruptible power supplies, and wireless access points, which provided the same kind, amount, and level of knowledge acquired in the required education, may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the associate degree.
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, abilities and other personal characteristics outlined as critical to this position:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Two (2) years of experience related to the minimum qualifications for this position
- Experience with monitoring tools (e.g. Cacti, Nagios, Zabbix and HP Intelligent Management Console)
- An understanding of network protocols at layers 1 and 2 of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model
- Comp TIA Network + certification
- Training and practical field experience in Fluke Optiview, OneTouch, LinkRunner, AirCheck test equipment.
- Experience with APC UPS management card configuration
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Extreme attention to detail
- Experience working with a diverse population (i.e. executives, faculty, staff, students, community members) in a higher education setting
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Network Infrastructure Installation and Configuration Duty/Responsibility
- Configure, install and troubleshoot centrally supported network components of the CSU local and wide-area networks.
Percentage Of Time 25 Job Duty Category Troubleshooting Network Infrastructure Duty/Responsibility
- Troubleshoot and operate network devices associated with CSU’s Fort Collins network.
- Monitor networks daily and provide anomalies to the baseline information to senior staff.
Percentage Of Time 25 Job Duty Category Cable Management Duty/Responsibility
- Installs and maintains network cables and equipment.
- Confirms cable management meets defined CSU and industry specifications.
Percentage Of Time 30 Job Duty Category Documentation Duty/Responsibility
- Develops and maintains thorough documentation using a variety of software tools and databases specific to network operations staff.
Percentage Of Time 10 Job Duty Category Other Duties Duty/Responsibility
- Other duties as assigned and needed by NOC staff.
Percentage Of Time 10 Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job announcement, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- Clearly document specialized work experience, skills, and accomplishments that relate to the minimum qualifications, highly desired qualifications, and position duties in the “Work Experience” section on the application.
- Incomplete applications will be removed from consideration from the selection process.
- If “see resume” is noted or previous employment does not contain defined Duties, in the Work Experience/Duties section of the application, the application will be considered incomplete and will be removed from consideration for the position.
- If no previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the application, the application will be considered incomplete and will be removed from consideration for the position.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a complete application; however, resumes may still be required as a component of complete application materials – please see the “Required Documents” section of the posting.
- Some recruitment processes for State Classified positions include Comparative Analysis (assessments) and interviews that require the candidate to report to main Campus (Fort Collins, CO 80523) – this is at the candidate’s own expense, travel reimbursement is not provided.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from: email@example.com. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check in your Junk and Deleted folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
1) Multiple ways to login:
- Enter your Username and Password on the home page to login,
- Click on Login (in the upper left-hand corner) – then Login (Under Apply without Vitae),
- or Click on Returning Applicant – then Login (under Apply without Vitae)
2) Select “Your Applications” in order to display all the applications you have submitted to open positions as well as the following:
- You can view the Status of your application for each position
- You can withdraw your application from consideration
- You can view the job posting for the position you applied
- You can archive the application once the position has been filled
Applicants can check the status of their application at any time through the online system. Additionally, all applicants will be notified of any changes in the status of their application via email. All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office at the main phone line: 970-491-MyHR (6947). Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License EEO Statement
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Employment and Appeal Rights
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you willing and able to submit to a pre-employment background check that may include, but is not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history as a condition of hire?
- * This position requires the incumbent to possess and maintain a current and valid driver's license. Do you have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license by the employment start date?
- * Please describe the different types of cabling projects you have completed; specifically, related to ethernet infrastructure.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide an example of a time when you took on the re-organization of a poorly maintained cabling project. Outline the steps / methods you used to re-work the cabling, update documentation, and maintain accuracy.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe the types and numbers of network switches, uninterruptable power supplies, and wireless access points you have installed and/or configured.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe a time when you were called in to troubleshoot or repair an IT outage / issue, and were confronted by a very angry customer, or a customer who was extremely distressed by the outage / issue. How did you handle it, and what was the outcome?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select three (3) of the preferred qualifications stated in the job announcement, and describe how your skills and experiences meet the preferred qualifications. Please be as specific as possible.
(Open Ended Question)
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- List of Professional References
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Veteran DD214 Form (Member-4) (For State Classified searches ONLY)