Professor of Cultural Encounters
Professor of Cultural Encounters
Department of Communication and Arts (DCA), Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as professor of Cultural Encounters from February 1st 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The Department of Communication and Arts (IKH) is an innovative and interdisciplinary university environment characterized by academic and methodological diversity in research and education, contributing with new knowledge for the strategic and practical handling of processes of development and change in society and its businesses, cultural institutions, media houses, public organizations and NGOs.
Read more at https://ruc.dk/en/department-communication-and-arts
Responsibilities and tasks
The professor’s main duty is to undertake research and research-based teaching within the field of cultural encounters.
The professor is expected to maintain a significant record of publication, to encourage research achievement and to nurture a research culture within the research group. You will also be expected to secure external research funding, and participate actively in research networks. You will be required to teach, supervise and assess students at BSc and MSc levels as well as PhD students. This also implies developing the field in relation to teaching. As professor you will be required to participate in post-doctoral training and be responsible for the supervision of assistant professors as well as take part in academic assessments. The professor is also expected to share knowledge with the rest of society – including participation in public debate.
Finally you will be expected to contribute to management and leadership through engagement in the Department.
Applicants must hold a PhD degree within fields such as Cultural Encounters, Migration Studies, Anthropology, Cultural Sociology, Cultural Studies, Minority Studies or Sociology of Religion and documented qualifications and experience within:
• Migration studies with knowledge of the intersection between various categories such as class, religion, ethnicity and gender within a sociocultural and/or historical context.
• Religion in a cultural encounter perspective
• Globalisation theory particularly in relation to transnational migration
• Advanced level fieldwork and interdisciplinary approaches to qualitative methods with a focus on capturing the complex dynamics of cultural processes within a Scandinavian and a broader global context.
• Scientific qualifications at the level expected of an associate professor in relation to the above mentioned subject area(s).
• Advanced level pedagogical competence
• Interdisciplinary education involving at least one but preferably more of the 4 research areas mentioned above
• Research management and editorial work.
• Coordinating research projects.
• Development of international research networks and cooperation
• Undertaking academic administrative responsibilities at a University level.
• Supervision of junior researchers.
Please read the whole job advertisement at https://ruc.dk/en/vacant-positions-roskilde-university
To apply for the position go to RUCs homepage: https://ruc.dk/videnskabelige-stillinger. Please open the relevant job advertisement and click on the button “Apply for vacancy here”, which is found below the job advertisement.
Only applications in English are accepted.
Please submit your application no later than 15 November 2016.