Associate Lecturer – Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Sydney School of Public Health
Sydney Medical School
Reference no. 1683/1016
- Entry level academic opportunity in teaching biostatistics and epidemiology with support for professional development
- Full-time fixed term for 2 years
- Remuneration package: $82K-$111K p.a. which includes leave loading and up to 17% super
The University of Sydney is Australia's first university and has an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. We employ over 7600 permanent staff, supporting over 60,000 students.
The Sydney Medical School is part of the University's Faculties of Health, the largest and most comprehensive grouping of health and medical education and research in the Asia Pacific region. Within the Sydney Medical School, the Sydney School of Public Health is a network of individuals, research groups and centres that aims to provide high-quality, accessible education, conduct outstanding, high impact research and participate effectively in professional, governmental and community activities.
The Sydney School of Public Health is seeking an Associate Lecturer in the areas of Epidemiology and Biostatistics to tutor and help coordinate teaching in these areas for postgraduate students undertaking Master of Public Health/Master of International Public Health programs and similar postgraduate programs. This is a full time, fixed term position for a period of 2 years.
In this role you will:
- assist in the coordination and administration of the epidemiology and biostatistics programs, involving tasks such as liaising with tutors and organising the epidemiology and biostatistics tutorial programs and arranging appropriate room bookings for tutorials and assessments
- participate in the teaching of the School’s programs including tutoring in epidemiology and biostatistics units
- provide academic support to students undertaking epidemiology and biostatistics units
- assist in the development and review of teaching materials including reading materials and on-line learning sites
- assist in the development and marking of assessments
- assist with the evaluation of epidemiology and biostatistics units of study.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- an MPH, MIPH or equivalent qualification
- sound knowledge of BOTH epidemiology and biostatistics as demonstrated by completion of core and at least some advanced units in biostatistics and epidemiology in an MPH or equivalent program
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- ability to work as part of a team as well as to work independently at times
- the ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines and be highly organised with excellent attention to detail
- teaching experience -tutoring, lecturing, student supervision (desirable)
- administrative experience (desirable).
This is a junior academic position and will be suitable for applicants desiring experience working in an academic environment within one of Australia's leading universities.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number for more information and to apply.
CLOSING DATE: 11pm 6 November 2016
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups, including women and people with disabilities are encouraged. As the University of Sydney has established a scheme to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff employed across the institution, applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are also encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.