Phlebotomist and Laboratory Assistant
6 days left
- Part Time
Description of Work Unit
The CSU Health Network at Colorado State University provides a full range of cost effective, on-campus, mental health and primary care medical services, referral for community specialty care and comprehensive health education and prevention services’ programming. Services such as physical therapy, dentistry and optometry, are available. The CSU Health Network is active in creating a healthy campus environment to support learning and success. For more information about the CSU Health Network at Colorado State University, see http://www.health.colostate.edu.
The Laboratory department at the CSU Health Network performs a wide variety of testing including chemistry, hematology, microbiology, parasitology and serology on site. The lab staff works very closely and collaboratively with the medical providers to ensure quality and efficient care for the patients. The lab is open between the hours of 7:30 am-5:00 pm Monday-Friday with reduced hours over summer and breaks, providing attractive work schedules for staff.
The Laboratory Associate supports the Laboratory Technologists in their work of performing laboratory testing as requested by a Medical Professional to aid in diagnosis of human illness by collecting and handling patient samples for analysis.
This position also includes administrative and clinical support for the laboratory department including: maintaining, ordering and stocking of inventory; coordinating and processing of blood draws for on campus research projects; training of other laboratory and clinical staff members on laboratory computer interface issues, including troubleshooting ordering errors or questions from providers; this job is responsible for maintaining specimen viability to include accurate and expedient transport to outside (reference) labs, resulting these lab tests into the electronic health record and troubleshooting any discrepancies which may arise with the tests being performed outside of the CSUHN laboratory.
This position is scheduled to work 40 hours/week, during the Academic Year, as a State Classified hourly position. The position may be asked to work hours during breaks to ensure full coverage in the department. The annual salary is pro-rated based on number of actual hours worked.
CSU offers full benefits which include Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement programs and more. The University’s Commitment to Campus benefits program offers a wide range of programs, discounts and special benefits available to eligible faculty and staff. For more detailed information about CSU benefits, visit http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/ and http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/fap-insplans-new.pdf.
Two (2) years of clinical laboratory support experience, which must have included specific training in human laboratory specimen handling and clerical support.
A very strong candidate will offer several of the following preferred qualifications and characteristics:
- Successful completion of a Phlebotomy certification and one year of clinical experience with blood draws.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience utilizing a Lab Information System (LIS) or other electronic or manual health record management system to manage patient records and results.
- Working knowledge of diagnostic testing and experience processing and communicating abnormal value results according to protocol.
- Working knowledge of human laboratory specimen handling, bio-hazard, and infectious disease safety and personal protection protocol.
- Ability to assist several patients and medical staff simultaneously while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience with laboratory inventory management.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and individually.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to change quickly.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of patient information in accordance with policies of CSUHealth Network, Colorado State University, State, Federal, and HIPAA requirements.