About La Trobe
La Trobe University's success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is among the top 100 universities in the world under the age of 50 (Times Higher Education Rankings 2016), one of Australia's research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we're passionate about driving change to benefit the communities we serve.
About the role
Based at AgrBio, which is a state of the art facility that supports Agriculture and Biotechnology research and houses the La Trobe genomics facility, this role will support the genomics platform to implement bioinformatics analyses of genomic datasets. You will provide bioinformatics support for research groups across the University in a variety of disciplines ranging from environmental and ecological research to molecular and genetic approaches to understanding cellular function. Collaborate with researchers to provide technical interpretation of genomics datasets and establish and write scripts and automation to support the data analysis pipeline. Establish computational biology support for researchers and advise on and implement the use of software packages for analysing the datasets. You will also build capacity in genomics which includes providing support through clinics and specialised training courses to train staff and students.
Skills & Experience
To be considered for this role you will possess:
- A degree in Computational Biology and/or Bioinformatics or a combination of knowledge, training and experience
- Expertise and knowledge in analysing and visualising large-scale biological datasets
- Experience in statistics related to biological datasets
- Knowledge and expertise in developing and interpreting data algorithms and computer software to analyse biological data
- Publication record in a field of genomics research
- Experience working in a Linux environment with programming skills in R, C/C++, python and SQL
Please click on this link for a full list of Benefits http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs/working/benefits
How to apply
Closing date: Sunday, 6 November 2016 by 11.00pm AEST.
Professor Jim Whelan, Plant Science (AgriBio),
Dr Mathew Lewsey, Senior Lecturer, Biology,
Andrew Robinson, Senior Bioinformatician,
Position Description below:
PD - HEO6 - Bioinformatician.docx
Please address the Key Selection Criteria in the Position Description and attach these with your application.
Please scroll down to apply.
La Trobe University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For further enquiries on how to apply for this role, please contact Deborah Dare, Recruitment Consultant on +61 03 9479 1241 or
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Agriculture, Food & Forestry Other Professional Services jobs in Bundoora
- Fixed Term Biological Sciences Other Professional Services jobs in Bundoora
- Fixed Term Physical Sciences Other Professional Services jobs in Bundoora
- Fixed Term Life sciences Other Professional Services jobs in Bundoora
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Other Professional Services jobs in Bundoora