Classification Scientific Research_BAL-Assistant
Exempt/Overtime Eligible Overtime Eligible
The division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at the California Institute of Technology seeks a highly motivated individual to fulfill the position of Biomedical Engineer Research Scientist. This is an exceedingly multidisciplinary position, as duties will not only include investigating the design, synthesis and applicability of new small-molecular transition metal molecular artificial retinas for the treatment of macular degeneration, but also solid-phase synthesis and/or bacterial expression of targeting peptides. The position is at Caltech and the candidate will be reporting to the designated princial investigator, but the candidate will also work closely with research staff at the University of Southern California Medical School. Facilities will include research and development sites at both locations. The candidate will be closely involved in the organization, drafting and editing of various types of documents including patents, research grants and manuscripts.
- Work in collaboration with researches at Caltech and USC to design new treatments for macular degeneration.
- Independently execute the synthesis of transition metal complexes with varied substituents, including polyunsaturated fatty acids, for the treatement of macular degeneration.
- Fully characterize candidates using standard NMR, MS techniques, as well as important photophysical parameters in vitro, in biomimics and in cells including, but not limited to, absorption and emission profiles, excited state lifetimes, quantum yields and reduction potentials.
- Synthesize a targeting peptide using solid-phase peptide synthesis or express using bacterial expression systems. Purify, refold and label the peptide with photoexcitable tags and electron acceptor groups. Fully characterize the labeled peptide using standard protein folding techniques.
- Work in collaboration with researchers at Caltech and USC to evaluate new treatments and further investigate promising candidates in a clinical setting.
- Manage the organization of research funding and intellectual property associated with the research project, including data, grants, patents, and manuscripts.
- Conduct research at various stages of the core research project and related area as outlined above simultaneously and effectively.
- On occasion, travel from Caltech to USC will be required.
- Advanced degree in chemistry with a special focus on inorganic synthesis and biophysics.
- Research experience in organometallic, photophysics, protein folding science.
- High level of proficiency in the characterization of small inorganic molecules and peptides.
- Extensive publication history in peer-reviewed journals including 5+ years of scientific writing experience.
- Demonstrated ability to handle and complete several projects simultaneously under strict deadlines.
- Experience working as a part of a multidisciplinary team particularly those requiring a collaborative and/or mentorship role.
- PhD in chemistry and 2+ years of postdoctoral research experience in chemistry with biomedical applications.
- High level of proficiency with air-free synthetic techniques and photophysical characterization.
- Detailed understanding of the role of ion channels in vision.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain external funding.
Supervisory position? No Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 10/12/2016
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled No
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an advanced degree in chemistry with a special focus on inorganic synthesis and biophysics?
- * Do you have research experience in organometallic, photophysics, protein folding science?
- * Do you have a high level of proficiency in the characterization of small inorganic molecules and peptides?
Documents Needed to Apply Required Documents
- Cover Letter