Education Outreach Support Officer
Education and Outreach Support Officer in the Experimental Physics Department (EP), CMS Organization (CMO Group for the CMS Collaboration)
You will join CERN's Experimental Physics Department responsible for research in the field of experimental physics and Detector R&D for current and new projects and for providing a working environment for users from all over the world.
In particular you will join CERN's Communication Group of the CMS experiment at CERN (CMO Group) responsible for the design and implementation of education and outreach programs such as CMS Masterclasses, CMS Public events and CMS Virtual Visits, among others.
As an Education and Outreach Support Officer, you will work under the responsibility of the Coordinator of CMS Communications. Working in close collaboration with colleagues inside the CMS Communications Group and CERN but also with partners outside CERN, you will be expected to:
- Develop, implement, coordinate and evaluate new education and outreach activities.
- Liaise with internal and external partners including more than 20 European partners and up to 100 collaborators from different research institutes for specific projects to produce education and outreach resources and material mostly for the Collaboration internal communications
- Contribute to identify funding opportunities and coordinate partnerships and proposal development.
- Provide logistics support to internal and external stakeholders.
Bachelor's degree in the field of Communication, Business Administration or equivalent.
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications: In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post includes:
- Relevant experience in education and outreach activities, including planning and implementation
- Coordination of activities with large, international teams in the education and outreach area
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Project management.
- Science writing, scientific popularization.
- Managing relations and partnerships with non profit as well as corporate entities.
- Exhibition design and management.
- Marketing, promotion, sponsoring, fundraising.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: using knowledge sharing systems and technology; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change; demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
The language competencies required are:
- Mother tongue or fluent English: ability to understand and speak English in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft texts for publications and/ or official communications and to make oral presentations.
- Ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 09.11.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 2 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Professional Code / Code Professionnel
EPCareer Path / Filière de Carrière
Grade 4 or 5