The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is seeking applications for the position of Registrar. Caltech is located in Pasadena, California, and is dedicated to fundamental research combined with enabling technologies. Caltech’s history of achievement stems from the caliber of people who choose to come here and from their ready access to other scholars and to cutting-edge facilities. Caltech offers its 2,200 students a strong, flexible curriculum and rigorous research training opportunities. Graduate students make up more than half of the student body.
The Registrar is identified as Organizational Critical position. An employee designated as Organizational Critical is expected to report to campus as soon as possible to assist in division/department response and recovery efforts.
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Registrar oversees a broad portfolio of responsibilities that support an institutional focus on student success and excellence in teaching, learning and research. The Registrar manages all functions within the Office of the Registrar including registration, course and classroom scheduling, records, degree audit, graduation, student information systems, athletic eligibility, and veterans’ benefits. As the steward of student records and a key partner in the delivery of educational programs, the Registrar creates, safeguards, and preserves academic records; ensures adherence to policy and regulatory requirements; provides guidance in curriculum and program development; collects and analyzes critical data; and promotes data-informed strategic planning, decision making, and technology-based solutions.
The Registrar provides proactive and responsive service to constituents and works collaboratively with divisions, options, faculty, and Information Management Services and Systems, as well as colleagues in numerous administrative units across the institute.
- Minimum requirements for the position of the Registrar include a master’s degree with several years of progressively responsible experience in a comprehensive registrar’s office or a closely related academic services area.
- Strong leadership, personnel management, budgetary skills, significant experience with enterprise and student information systems, and the ability to improve service delivery through technology.
- The Registrar must possess an ability to evaluate and assess policies and systems, facilitate change processes, lead with integrity, and hold a vision for strengthening service through the integration of best practices. Interpretation and implementation of academic policies and procedures, compliance with Institute, state, and federal regulations.
- Familiarity with undergraduate and graduate degree programs in research; evidence of highly developed analytical, technical, and communication abilities; and sophisticated project/process management skills will also be important considerations in the selection of the new Registrar.
- Demonstrated success in providing collaborative leadership to negotiate, exchange ideas, information and opinions with a variety of constituencies to formulate policies and programs, and arrive jointly at decisions, conclusions or solutions to institute policy with judgment and flexibility.
- Demonstrated success in fostering a service organization.
- Demonstrated personnel management skills to provide guidance to maintain a strong team of players. Ability to hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff, and dispense appropriate disciplinary action when necessary.
- Able to apply a high level of technical competency plus creative and analytical problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of student information systems, excellent computer and analytical skills are essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to deal effectively with faculty, staff and student populations as well as a collaborative, collegial, inclusive management style.
- Ability to comply with regulatory requirements with respect to student academic records and documentation.
- Ability to prioritize work, manage multiple task and meet deadlines.
- Serve on several Institute committees.
Supervisory position? Yes Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 10/11/2016
Posting Close Date Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a master’s degree with at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in a comprehensive registrar’s office or a closely related academic services area?
- * Do you have the ability to evaluate and assess policies and systems, facilitate change processes, lead with integrity, and hold a vision for strengthening service through the integration of best practices. Interpretation and implementation of academic policies and procedures, compliance with Institute, state, and federal regulations?
- * Do you have familiarity with undergraduate and graduate degree programs in research; evidence of highly developed analytical, technical, and communication abilities; and sophisticated project/process management skills?
Documents Needed to Apply Required Documents
- Cover Letter