Research Assistant in Politics & International Studies
Gulf Studies Center
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, the newly established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supports the research assistant professors and Gulf Studies Center Director in all aspects of research.
- Collects data from various sources including the Internet, libraries, government sources, and personal contacts; reads sources for relevancy to research themes; assembles documents, and reports.
- 3.Updates and checks existing data and footnotes; provides fact-checking, editing, and proofreading of publications.
- Compiles bibliographies and chronologies; writes briefing memos; prepares notes on meetings and conferences; creates and maintains spreadsheets and databases.
- Provide assistance in drafting of books, papers, opinion pieces, and blog posts.
- Provide assistance with proofreading and editing publications by fellows and research assistant professors and the Center Director.
- Assists in the compilation of research publications as well as Center briefs and publications.
- Provide administrative assistance for research related tasks to Center Director and research coordinators
- Assist with organization of research meetings, conferences and workshops
- Master’s degree in Gulf studies, international affairs, political science, or related field required (with focus on the Gulf region)
- Familiarity with and interest in the Gulf region is beneficial
- Strong academic record as well as proven outstanding writing skills.
- Complete fluency in written and oral English required
- Proficiency in Arabic is strongly preferred.
- Must be eligible to work in Qatar.
- Willingness to work with teams
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.