Astronomical Data Analyst
Caltech Optical Observatories is seeking a B.S. level Astronomy graduate to assist in analysis of light curves and spectra for the Palomar Transient Facility (PTF) and Intermediate Palomar Transient Facility (iPTF)projects, as well as with another project (SEDM).
This is a 12-month temporary position, with benefits.
1. Using light curve and spectral data from the PTF and iPTF projects, set up system software to analyze light curves by reading in images, finding stars in the image, comparing to all light sources, and discerning how brightness changes over time. Similar duties for SEDM project results.
2. Assist in the creation of a large database so that further analysis can be undertaken by the science teams.
3. Other duties as needed.
1. Requires a B.S. degree in Astronomy.
2. Advanced computer programming skills in Python and C/C++ and experience in using software for data analysis.
3. Experience in image analysis and handling of astronomical images.
4. Experience in reducing data using IRAF image reduction software.
5. Enthusiasm and the ability to work independently.
6. Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
1. Experience in scientific computing.
2. Familiarity with database concepts and tools.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 09/28/2016
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.