Murdoch Student Ambassadors 2017
Academic Registrar's Office: External Engagement
- 30 casual positions for Murdoch students who will be in their second year of study in 2017 or above
- $31.62 per hour
- Ref: 0493K20/201699
The External Engagement Office at Murdoch consists of two teams, including Future Student Team and Outreach Team. Both teams are the face of the University’s student recruitment efforts and focus on community engagement and engagement activities.
An opportunity has arisen for current Murdoch students, in their second year of study or above, to work as Student Ambassadors. Student Ambassadors assist by sharing their personal journey of being a tertiary student, as well as information on courses and pathways to Murdoch. In consultation with the Future Student Officers (FSOs) and Outreach Officers (OOs), Student Ambassadors assist in the development and delivery of on and off campus events and information sessions for prospective students, secondary school staff and parent groups. The primary purpose of the role is to assist with community engagement and engagement activities including:
- Working with young people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures;
- Running information stands at High School/TAFE visits and school expos;
- Assisting individual Murdoch Schools in marketing activities and University based initiatives;
- Designing and leading “Career Tasting workshops” and or “Subject Specific activities” specific to your degree specialisation with high school students;
- Running tours of the Murdoch University campus;
- Representing the University at Open Day, Information Evenings and expos and community events and
- Other duties as required.
Student Ambassadors are able to nominate a preference for focusing on Recruitment events, or Outreach activities, or working across both teams.
Please note: This position is primarily an events based role and as such casual hours can and will vary seasonally.
Skills and Experience
Applicants will be selected based on the following selection criteria:
- Currently enrolled in, and at the time of appointment, have completed at least 2 semesters of a Bachelor degree at Murdoch, with at least 12 months study remaining and maintain satisfactory academic progress (Please include transcripts or your student number);
- Demonstrable experience of working with young people and ability to relate to, and inspire secondary school students; (eg. Sports leader, volunteer, youth groups etc);
- Experience with public speaking and a willingness to run activities in areas related to your field of study both independently and as part of a team;
- Be an active member of the University community (ie. mentoring, volunteering, work experience, overseas placements, study abroad or competitions)
- Available to work weekdays, evenings and occasional weekends;
- Hold a valid Driver’s licence;
- Hold a current W.A. Working with Children Check or able to obtain one;
We strongly encourage all students that are interested in applying to attend the sessions being offered by the Careers and Employment Centre here at Murdoch.
Please submit your application via the Apply Online button below, including a cover letter of no more than two pages addressing the above selection criteria, current CV and one Murdoch staff reference (academic or professional staff).
If you have any questions regarding this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your phone contact details, and a member of our Engagement team will call you.
Closing date: 20th October 2016