Manager, Academic Programs
Vacancy ID: 16068
Job Location: Sydney
Work type: Full-time, fixed-term (3 years) (ie. full-time, part-time etc)
Salary range: $90,000-120,000
Southern Cross University and Mulpha Australia are seeking to appoint an experienced Academic Manager to join The Hotel School Sydney’s leadership team.
After 26 years of successfully operating The Hotel School Sydney (THSS), the school in 2015 announced the opening of The Hotel School Melbourne (THSM). The Hotel School is a unique educational partnership between Southern Cross University and Mulpha Australia, a major player in the hospitality industry. The Hotel School delivers a Bachelor of Business in Hotel Management and a Master of International Tourism and Hotel Management. The combination of academic excellence from Southern Cross University and industry connectivity from Mulpha Australia creates an innovative learning environment.
Operating in 1989 as an integral part of Intercontinental Sydney, The Hotel School Sydney (THSS) has since then developed close working relationships with many leading tourism organisations in Australia and around the world. The Hotel School Sydney delivers a Bachelor of Business in Hotel Management and Master of International Tourism and Hotel Management.
The Academic Manager has responsibility to lead THSS’s academic team, growing academic capability and ensuring that the programs offered at THSS are of the highest standard. In doing so, this role will work closely with SCU’s Head of School and other School Directors (Director of Teaching and Learning and School Director of Research), and THSS’s General Manager and leadership to ensure THSS’s academic programs are consistent with SCU academic standards and processes. The Academic Manager will supervise SCU academic staff at THSS.
The Academic Manager will also contribute to the teaching effort of THSS at both undergraduate and postgraduate level and will undertake activities to develop scholarship and/or professional expertise relevant to the profession or discipline.
As a member of the THSS leadership team the Academic Manager works closely with the General Manager to support and develop THSS’s overall operations.
For more detail on this role’s responsibilities please refer to the attached Role Statement.
The successful applicant may be required to travel between all University campuses in order to undertake their duties.
Required Skills and Experience
- A PhD in Tourism or Hospitality Management or related field.
- Substantial expertise, academic knowledge and commitment to the study and practice of contemporary Tourism and Hospitality Management, including practical management experience gained in tourism or hospitality industries.
- Demonstrated ability to provide academic leadership in teaching for tourism and hospitality management.
- Demonstrated understanding of higher education and relevant Australian government standards and requirements, such as TEQSA, CRICOS and ESOS Act.
- High standard of interpersonal, written and oral communication skills and ability to work both as a leader and a member of a diverse team.
- Capacity and commitment to high quality, flexible teaching and learning outcomes, in both traditional and contemporary modes of delivery, including experience in course development and presentation at university level.
- A demonstrated ability to develop and maintain productive links with industry and community groups relevant to tourism and hospitality.
- A capacity for adaptability and flexibility in a rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity and a working knowledge of equity and workplace health and safety principles in the workplace.
Closing date: Friday, 21 October 2016 at 9:00am (AEST)
To view the full position advertisement and details of the application process please click on the APPLY NOW button below where you will be redirected to the Southern Cross University website. The Vacancy ID is 16068.