Landscape & Irrigation Specialist
Under the supervision of a crew leader, operates equipment and performs a variety of landscape and irrigation maintenance techniques in order to maintain high quality aesthetic standards throughout campus facilities and student housing.
Performs work in accordance with institute safety standards and regulatory agencies (OSHA).
Caltech offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes a broad range of programs. We offer benefits which include health and dental coverage, generous holiday and vacation leave accrual plans, a competitive retirement option, life insurance and other types of financial protection, tuition assistance for staff members, child care programs, credit union memberships, library privileges, and participation in cultural and social events. In addition, as one of the top rated institutions in the world, Caltech offers the opportunity to work in a stimulating and diverse environment. If you are passionate about creating what is possible, consider coming to work at Caltech – apply online today!
- Understand, implement, and manage a weather based computerized irrigation system.
- Test irrigation controllers, check valves, clocks, lines, and sprinkler head to determine malfunctions and make necessary repairs.
- Review irrigation designs and install new irrigation system as directed.
- Perform turf care operations, which include soil preparation, sterilization, seeding, and watering during establishment period.
- Make general field landscape layout from drawings and prepare grounds for landscape construction or renovation work.
- Perform header installation, planting and removal of plant material, maintenance of new plantings, ornamental or clearance pruning, and assist with trenching requirements.
- Select the appropriate planting procedures for different types of plants.
- Operate a variety of equipment such as: tractors, mowers, edgers, aerators, flail mowers, skip loaders, forklifts, backhoes, rototillers, dig witch, earth augers, chain saws, and vacuum and blowing equipment.
- Assist with tree and irrigation maintenance by operating brush chipper, chain saws, aerial lift truck, and operating trenching equipment and sprinkler repair or installation as needed.
- Drive pick-up trucks and grounds maintenance carts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
At Least two year’s of experience in irrigation and in landscape maintenance.
Must have a valid California driver’s license at the time of employment and maintain it throughout the course of employment.
Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather and be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. of tools, equipment, plants, shrubs, trees, fertilizer, seeds, and/or other related materials.
Must be able to stoop, bend, pull, push, and kneel for most of the workday.
Must be able to read and interpret basic irrigation drawings and test systems.
Must be able to make necessary irrigation repairs.
Must have good knowledge of irrigation systems and troubleshoot system in order to determine malfunctions.
Must have good knowledge of methods and materials used in the landscaping & irrigation trade.
Must have knowledge of botanical names (trade names) of plant material, plant water requirements and soil structures.
4 years or more of Landscaping and irrigation experience is a plus.
Experience working in a campus or nursery environment is a plus.
Qualified applicators certificate is a plus.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 10/03/2016
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law