Academic Services Manager
Description of Work Unit
The Academic Services Manager is a full time, 12-month Administrative Professional position within the Office of the Registrar, Division of Enrollment and Access. The Office of the Registrar exists to support students in their educational goals by providing services in the areas of registration, academic records management, degree evaluation, transfer evaluation, curriculum and catalog, and classroom scheduling. The goal of the office is to provide support and services that will enable students to enroll, be retained, and graduate or fulfill other educational goals. The Office of the Registrar serves all Colorado State University students and connects with a large number of faculty, staff, alumni, and family members.
The Academic Services Manager will train and oversee the immediate supervision of the Customer Service staff in the Office of the Registrar. This individual will collaborate with the Academic Resource Manager and the Associate Registrar of Academic Services to ensure that consistent and accurate information is provided to Colorado State University constituents and is done so in a friendly and efficient manner by the Customer Service staff.
The Academic Services Manager will supervise the Customer Service staff whose primary responsibilities are to assist students in fulfilling their educational endeavors and to serve as a resource to all Colorado State University constituents. Primary duties include supervision of the professional call center staff who respond to student, staff, and family inquiries over the phone, email, and in-person concerning registration, transcript orders, RAMrecords requests, transfer equivalencies, status of diplomas, and other general questions. Additional job duties include overseeing email communications to departmental representatives concerning end-of-term grade submission, resolving “null” grades, maintaining transcript accounting records, creating and distributing the quarterly Office of the Registrar Updates, processing daily transcript requests, and addressing transcripts held in suspense. This position may also coordinate various projects within the Office of the Registrar.
In addition to supervising the Customer Service staff, this position will manage the creation and maintenance of training documents, manage staff schedules, organize Customer Service documents, and create/update processes. The Academic Services Manager will provide the second line of contact for Customer Service problem resolution, working with challenging situations and/or individuals. This staff member will make decisions on how to provide customer service back-up to the Degree and Domestic Transfer Evaluation unit. This position will make decisions to resolve more difficult and complex issues as they arise. As appropriate, this position will provide front-line customer service when staffing patterns require it.
The selected candidate must be comfortable leading a team and managing demands of multiple and changing competing priorities. This individual must strive for excellence, accuracy and have a passion for solving problems in a team environment. The successful candidate will be self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision.
Required Job Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Science, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Education, Business, Hospitality Management, Human Sciences, or a closely related field that emphasizes analysis, critical thinking, and communication skills.
• Two years of experience engaging with students, faculty, family members and outside resources to support student success.
• Three years of experience providing front-line Customer Service.
• Strong communication and organizational skills as demonstrated by collaborating with various constituencies.
• Demonstrated experience working with a variety of groups (students, faculty, staff, alumni, family members, and other constituents).
• Demonstrated knowledge of, and relevant ability with, culturally diverse communities among potential target and constituent populations.
• Excellent written communication skills as demonstrated by application materials.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Master’s Degree in higher education, business administration, science, liberal arts or closely related field that emphasizes communication, analysis and critical thinking skills.
• Experience working in an institution of Higher Education college/university Registrar’s Office, Enrollment Services area, Academic Affairs, or assisting in the progression of students toward graduation.
• Five years of experience engaging with students, faculty, family members and outside resources to support student success.
• Five years of experience providing front-line Customer Service.
• Knowledge, understanding, and experience working with administrative student information systems: Ellucian (SunGard) Banner systems (Banner Student, Banner Document Management, and Banner Workflow).
• Problem-solving ability and creativity to implement efficiencies in current practices.
• Demonstrated ability to engage work unit/team in a collaborative approach to enhance student success.
• Familiarity with higher education advising processes.
• Demonstrated supervisory experience including student workers.
• Team player that will serve as an advocate for the Customer Service Team and related processes.
•Demonstrated knowledge of, and relevant ability with, culturally diverse communities among potential target and constituent populations.
Job Duty Category Customer Service/Problem Solving Duty/Responsibility
• Manage Customer Service that is provided via the telephone, email, chat and at the counter ensuring that the Customer Service Unit provides accurate information on behalf of Colorado State University.
• Address and resolve more complex problems and more difficult customers using good listening skills and focusing on solutions.
• Monitor tone and efficiency of Customer Service Staff.
• Manage the monitoring and query of regular edit reports for Customer Service Unit to ensure any errors in processing are resolved prior to student/department inquiry.
• Manage transcript processing to ensure that correct information is given to students who order transcripts at the counter, through the mail, and on the Office of the Registrar website.
• Apply academic policies such as the security of student records and compliance with FERPA and other university policies related to academic record functions.
• Manage the RAMrecords and password reset processes for Colorado State University.
• Provide front-line customer service when the staffing pattern requires it.
Percentage Of Time 40 Job Duty Category Supervision Duty/Responsibility
• Oversee daily operations and work assignments of Customer Service Staff.
• Hire, train, coach, and evaluate Customer Service Team of approximately five professional staff.
• Hold staff accountable for actions and quality of work. Address accuracy of information, quantity of work and also tone of delivery, among other criteria.
• Develop and/or update training plans and provide on-going training.
Percentage Of Time 35 Job Duty Category Outreach Duty/Responsibility
• Serve as a knowledgeable resource to campus faculty, advisors, and staff regarding semester registration dates, registration processes, end-of-term grade submission, and creating and distributing Office of the Registrar Updates.
• Oversee University Repeat/Delete communication to students who are retaking a course and need to process a Repeat/Delete request
• Oversee student success communication to continuing students who have not yet registered for the upcoming term
• Oversee the math/comp communication to students who are beyond the AUCC 60-credit limit
• Oversee communication concerning NG grade resolution with instructors
• Oversee college readiness communication to students who were admitted with deficiencies in math and/or composition.
• Oversee customer service representation to the Student-Athlete Support Services staff monthly meetings with the Office of the Registrar representatives.
• Oversee process concerning appeals for late registration fees, repeat/deletes, and math/comp requirements by reviewing and forwarding them onto the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs when appropriate.
Percentage Of Time 10 Job Duty Category Process Management Duty/Responsibility
• Serve as a first line resource in researching and identifying system processing issues in regards to Customer Service responsibilities.
• Serve as liaison with RO Degree and Domestic Transfer Evaluation unit to provide back-up coverage and decision making authority on an as needed basis.
• Serve as a resource to work through complex inquiries (i.e. processing transcripts for families of deceased students).
Percentage Of Time 10 Job Duty Category Other duties as assigned Duty/Responsibility
•Complete additional duties as determined by Associate Registrar-Academic Services or Office of the Registrar Leadership Team.
Percentage Of Time 5 Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications must be submitted through the CSU jobs portal only. No email applications will be considered. References may be contacted at any time during the application consideration process.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires) Search Contact Lori Woodruff, Lori.Woodruff@colostate.edu
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.