Colorado Master Gardener Coordinator
Description of Work Unit
Once an agricultural and mining area, Jefferson County, Colorado is now a thriving suburban, business, industrial and residential community. It’s located where the great plains meet the Rocky Mountains with some of the most magnificent scenery in the country. Outdoor lovers have three national forests and two state parks to choose from. Jefferson County Parks Department, of which CSU Extension in Jefferson County is a Division, is CAPRA accredited (Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies). Jefferson County is the fourth largest county in Colorado with a population estimated at 565,524, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, and 21% of the population is age 18 or younger while14% is age 65 or older. Of the total population, 40% possess at least a bachelor’s degree or higher and 94% has a high school diploma. The median household income is $69,698.
The Jefferson County Extension Staff consists of the Director, five Extension Agents (two 4-H youth development; one horticulture, one natural resources, and one family and consumer sciences); three Coordinators (Horticulture, Colorado Master Gardener & Plant Clinic). There are also a (regional nutrition education supervisor) and one nutrition educator; a regional 4-H STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Specialist, five administrative support staff and three part-time AmeriCorps members. To learn more, visit the Jefferson County website at www.jeffcoextension.org or the Colorado State University Extension website at: http://extension.colostate.edu.
Colorado State University Extension and Jefferson County are seeking a part time (20 hours per week) Master Gardener Coordinator with the experience and skills to assist with managing the County’s Colorado Master Gardener program. The person will have knowledge of volunteer management and a proven track record in working well with people, coordinating volunteers and/or managing volunteer programs, event management, database management and organizational skills. The individual will work well in a team environment using strong verbal and written communication skills to develop relationships with staff, customers and partners, and the ability to address common volunteer issues. (NOTE: Successful candidate will be required to complete Colorado Master Gardener training in first year following hire.)
The individual in this position works as a member of the local county Extension team and as a local representative of Colorado State University. This individual works under the guidance and supervision of the Program Coordinator, Horticulture and Master Gardener.
Required Job Qualifications
• Completed bachelor’s degree plus at least two years prior experience managing volunteers and/or a volunteer program.
• Organizational skills as evidenced by experience coordinating multiple projects, determining high priority activities and completing complex tasks.
• Ability to communicate through teaching, public speaking/presentation and writing as demonstrated through application materials and experience.
• Demonstrated ability working with people as individuals and in groups; ability to forge equitable and successful partnerships with other professionals and organizations.
• Evidence of drive and initiative. Must be a self-starter.
• Competent in Microsoft Office.
• Demonstrated use of technology including experience with database management and website content management.
• Personal or professional commitment to diversity as demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity outcomes.
• Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Ability to speak Spanish.
• Teaching or training experience.
• Training as a Colorado Master Gardener. (NOTE: Successful candidate will be required to complete Colorado Master Gardener training in first year following hire.)
• Degree, coursework or professional experience in horticulture.
Personal and professional commitment to diversity as demonstrated by involvement in teaching, research, creative activity, service to the profession and/or diversity/inclusion activities.
Job Duty Category Volunteer Recruitment, Development and Management Duty/Responsibility
• Coordinate recruiting, interviewing, and selection of volunteers for the Colorado Master Gardener Program.
• Maintain the Jefferson County CMG volunteer database – volunteers, volunteer opportunities, postings.
• Assist with the overall management of the county’s Colorado Master Gardener program.
• Develop and deliver orientation and training of Colorado Master Gardeners.
Note: % of job assigned to this duty may be changed as the program develops.
Percentage Of Time 90% Job Duty Category Program Planning, Development, Delivery, Evaluation and Reporting Duty/Responsibility
• Provide content management for the horticulture webpage(s) on the county website.
• Organize the planning, promotion, delivery and data collection of public education classes.
• Collect data from Colorado Master Gardener volunteers on program delivery, service hours and research results.
• Assure compliance with civil rights and affirmative action policies including reaching out to underserved and underrepresented audiences.
Note: % of job assigned to this duty may be changed as the program develops.
Percentage Of Time 10% Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
All materials must be RECEIVED no later than 11:59 PM Mountain Time on Tuesday October 25, 2016. Please submit the following to https://jobs.colostate.edu to apply:
• Cover letter
• Transcripts of college(s) course work showing degrees conferred. Please remove all references to birth date or social security number prior to submission. Only one document upload is allowed, no larger than 9 megabytes. Please convert all transcript pages into one PDF File to upload.
• Special Required Documentation:
o Statement (no more than 5 pages) of how you meet all the “Required” and “Preferred” criteria listed in the Vacancy Announcement. Please respond to each bullet point separately. Only one document upload is allowed, no larger than 9 megabytes. Please convert your Statement pages into one PDF file.
• Name, address, telephone, e-mail address, and your relationship to at least four (4) references. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
For questions regarding the application process, contact https://jobs.colostate.edu/help. For questions regarding the job vacancy and responsibilities, please contact Jacki Paone, Jefferson County Extension Director, at (303) 271-6639 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License
Search Contact Jacki Paone 303-271-6639 or email@example.com
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.