Senior Accountant, Payroll and Benefits Accounting
The Caltech Controller’s Office seeks a motivated, analytical accounting professional to manage the reconciliation and reporting function of Payroll and Benefits Accounting. Reporting to the Associate Controller, and working closely with Payroll, Finance, HR, and other campus stakeholders, the Senior Accountant will take the lead in the timely and accurate accounting and reporting of all payroll and benefits related transactions.
This position will play an integral role in assisting with the implementation of a new reporting tool, as well as work with various Administrators to determine the essential information necessary for the development and dissemination of various new payroll reports.
- Reconciliation of general ledger entries booked through the processing of Bi-Weekly, Monthly, Post Doc, Student Fellowship, and Grad Assistant payrolls.
- Work with management and the office of Information Management Systems and Services on the implementation of Oracle based Enterprise Integration Solutions (EiS).
- Work with Benefits to timely and accurately record benefits expenses. Provide analysis of benefits expenses and related balance-sheet accounts.
- Communicate with various stakeholders to determine their payroll reporting needs.
- Develop custom SQWL reports and bursting processes with EiS.
- Reconciliation of payroll related balance sheet accounts.
- Active management of and ability to improve processes related to payroll reporting.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate payment of retirement contributions to TIAA.
- Reconcile Gross Payroll to Net Payroll.
- Prepare payroll recaps and reconciliation files.
- Upload payroll checks and NACHA files to the banking system.
- Assist with various audit requests.
- Various research and ad hoc reporting as assigned.
- Develop/amend and document policies and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field and/or CPA and 5 years’ experience in financial accounting.
- Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments involving sensitive and confidential information.
- Advanced Excel skills, including the ability to create pivot tables, data tables, and charts.
- High integrity and ethics; high sense of personal responsibility and accountability for achieving outcomes; strong focus on quality.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to document procedures effectively and independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Technical expertise utilizing databases including Oracle, Cognos, and SQWL
- Ten or more years of financial experience
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants