Fiber Optics Engineer
5 days left
- Full Time
Fiber optics Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Engineering Group (EL), Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems, and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The EL Group that is responsible for CERN's electrical and optical fiber distribution networks. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the electrical network from 400 kV to 400/230 V and the optical fibre infrastructure, analyse and make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The group is also in charge of modifications and extensions to the networks when required by new projects, with project studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervising and commissioning.
- The Fiber Optics and Cabling Section (FC) that is in charge of CERN's optical fibre infrastructure, ensures the technical expertise in the field of fiber optics, and provides optical and copper signal cables, standardised racks and DC power cables for magnets in the accelerators and experimental areas. The section provides engineering support to the CERN users, centralises their cabling requests and organises the installation activities through external industrial-support contractors.
As a Fiber Optics Engineer in the Fiber Optics and Cabling Section, you will actively contribute to the continuous extension, maintenance, and operation of CERN's optical fiber network constituting the infrastructure for the major communication systems of the various accelerators including CERN's current leading project: the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
This will involve:
- Adapting to the rapid evolution of optical technology and giving expert assistance to optical fiber users.
- Performing engineering studies of the optical fiber network in view of improving its reliability.
- Defining optical cabling strategies, components, installation methodologies, and naming conventions.
- Ensuring the thorough qualification and quality assurance for the installed components, including the radiation tolerance of different optical fiber types.
- Drawing up technical specifications and managing industrial supply contracts.
- Organizing and supervising optical fiber cabling installation campaigns on CERN sites.
- Preparing data analysis, statistics and forecasting, defining project costs and financial plans.
- Specifying and purchasing optical measurement equipment.
Master's degree in the field of electrical Engineering, electronics Engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optical fiber and signal cabling installation.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of optical fiber qualification and tests.
- Knowledge and experience in using optical measurement equipment.
- Proven ability to deal with contractors and sub-contractors.
- Knowledge and experience in radiation resistant optical fibers would be an asset.
- Practical experience of optical fiber cabling with the blowing method would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Optical cabling system design and implementation techniques.
- Knowledge of optical transmission fundamentals.
- Knowledge of modern programming techniques and simulation design software.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion.
- Solving problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan.
- Communicating effectively: listening actively to others and letting others speak.
- Creating vision and strategic partnerships: demonstrating respect, diplomacy and tact with external partners.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 03.11.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Professional Code / Code Professionnel
ENCareer Path / Filière de Carrière
Grade 6 or 7