Head of College of Arts and Humanities
OFFICE OF THE VICE-CHANCELLOR & PRESIDENT
Pacific Technical and Further Education (Pacific TAFE),
College of Arts and Humanities (CAH)
Recruiting for Excellence
The University of the South Pacific is one of only two regional universities in the world. We are the leading tertiary education provider and research facility in the South Pacific. The USP recognises the importance of research activity to our academic staff and therefore provides incentives to encourage high-impact research and publications.
We have over 30,000 students, spread over 14 Campuses, across 33 million square kilometers of ocean. The USP is owned and supported by 12 Pacific Island countries. We are committed to leaving a lasting legacy for all of these countries by developing their leaders of tomorrow. With a six-year strategic plan (2013-2018) we have significant ambitions for the future and we need great leaders to achieve them.
The School/The Section
From 2017, Pacific Technical and Further Education (Pacific TAFE) of USP will be a strategically amalgamated and integrated learning and teaching section under 2013 to 2018 Strategic Plan offering high quality skills based qualifications, Foundation & Preliminary programmes and short term trainings. The new structure involves merger of College of Foundation Studies and existing Pacific Technical and Further Education. The section will have three Colleges’ which will provide programmes for pathways to higher studies, employment opportunities and career advancement. Workforce Development Training Unit (WDTU) will continue to offer short term trainings and certifications for up-skilling purpose. The two support units will be Corporate Services and Quality & Accreditation.
The appointee will work under the direction of Director Pacific TAFE and be accountable to the Director for the performance of the College. The incumbent will strategically lead the College of Arts & Humanities programmes and courses, develop new ones based on regional labour market needs, pursue external validation of programme quality and manage resources.
The Head of College will generally be responsible for the activities of the College. The responsibility will be to ensure learning and teaching by staff in accordance with prescribed regulations, resource readiness and designation for course delivery, and to represent the College in academic quality and administrative committees.
The incumbent will maintain accreditation of accredited programmes, secure re-accreditation, pursue external accreditation of programmes, lead the development of new programmes, and ensure quality is maintained at all times.
The appointee needs to manage the College in a cost effective manner, introduce entrepreneurial activities, innovate to achieve escalating efficiency and business smartness; and assist the Director in the management and business growth of Pacific TAFE.
The Person We Seek
Applicants with the following will be considered for the position:
- Masters qualification in a field relevant to the College discipline with five (5) to seven (7) years of senior administrative experience in a tertiary institution or in the industry OR extensive management experience and proved management expertise;
- Proven experience in staff recruitment and management;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop staff members;
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a successful participant on an executive management team that provides leadership and direction to the organisation;
- Ability to plan and manage resources effectively and equitably to support teaching and learning;
- Working knowledge of project bid and management;
- Ability to add new initiatives and expand market reach;
- Entrepreneurial and cost effective management experience;
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent word processing and IT skills, including knowledge of a range of software packages;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Good organisational and time management skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Attention to detail;
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Decisiveness in business growth and risk;
- Experience in maintaining organisational confidentiality.
The position is available for a term of 3 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary Range: Band 4 FJ $81, 145 to FJ $93, 629 per annum (Inclusive of 15% Gratuity)
Enquiries: Mr. Hasmukh Lal, Director Pacific TAFE; tel.: (679) 32 31223; email: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 28 October 2016
How to Apply
Candidates are strongly encouraged to use the University’s online E-Recruitment system to view full details and apply for this position at www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj Candidates may request further information from the Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com Manual applications are no longer accepted.
Please also include the following documents in your application: Cover letter and Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria, academic transcript and names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor.