- Full Time
Tracking Code 7627/L1224
The position is a General Mechanic within the NEIDL/BUMC Office of Facilities Management. The individual will be part of the maintenance team responsible for executing both the scheduled preventative and the reactionary maintenance program. The focus of the individual’s tasks will be associated with the operation of the Biological Safety Laboratories (BSL) including core infrastructure and ancillary support systems.
- Work assignments of a General Mechanic may span multiple trades (i.e., electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.), however this position will be the principal resource for plumbing systems in the facility.
- Perform system tests on generators, fire alarm systems, security systems, effluent treatment, switchgear, and other systems as assigned.
- Performs inspection rounds and records the information into the appropriate files and databases.
- Participate in and successfully complete on going safety trainings required to access active BSL2, 3, and 4 laboratories.
- Performs preventive scheduled and reactive maintenance on base building systems, laboratory support systems, and in laboratories including active BSL2, 3 and 4 laboratories.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs the building HVAC and control systems and related components for safe, efficient, and cost effective operation.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs equipment including but not limited to high and low pressure steam lines, steam boiler, steam traps, pumps, heat exchangers, control valves, humidifiers, drain lines, plumbing vents, Effluent Decontamination System, ph neutralization system, etc.
- Replace motors, belts, bearings, pump seals and adjust alignment.
- Installs, maintains and calibrates Building Automation System (BAS) components related to base building and laboratory systems
- Prepares stock orders for purchasing.
- Ensures work areas are clean and free of debris upon completion of all tasks.
- May mentor other mechanics and helpers on maintenance of specific systems.
- Responds to calls from the Control Center and will be part of an “on-call” rotation with the other Mechanics
- Must attend certificate training provided by BUMC: ex. Lockout tag out, NFPA, Hazardous communication
- Work with and support contracted service providers as necessary.
- Employment is contingent on initial and continued successful background checks as determined by Boston University and applicable external agencies and meeting all applicable elements of Research Occupational Health Programs and Personnel Suitability & Reliability Program (includes initial and random drug screening) throughout the period of employment. Please note: the standards of background checks, etc. may change at any time should there be amendments to applicable laws or policies relevant to Boston University and the NEIDL.
- Minimum of four years related experience in the maintenance and repair of building plumbing including process water systems, lab water, and potable water systems. Experience also in HVAC and electrical is a plus.
- Ability to read blue prints.
- Ability to specify proper parts and equipment for repairs and new installations.
- Ability to lift and move heavy items and equipment individually (up to 50 pounds) or as part of a team. Must be able to safely use ladders and access elevated areas such as catwalks.
- Must be able to work in close proximity to animals.
- Requires a working knowledge of computer software including databases and office suite software.
- The position requires the ability to speak, read, comprehend, and write fluently in the English language.
- Work requires 4 years’ experience with the credentials of a Massachusetts Journeymen’s Plumber’s License and maintain throughout employment.
- Must maintain compliance with all NEIDL training requirements, and all safety protocols and procedures
- Mass. Master Plumber’s License
- Mass. Backflow Prevention Testing Certification
- Mass. Journeyman Steamfitter’s License
- Experience with Siemens Building Automation systems
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular