Software Development Technical Engineer / Ingénieur(e)-technicien(ne)
Software Development Technical Engineer in the Beams Department (BE), Radio Frequency Group (RF), Servos & Controls Interface Section (CS).
You will join:
The Beams (BE) Department, which is responsible not only for the operation of all of CERN's accelerators, but also for a number of the specialised technologies and disciplines required for the design, construction and operation of particle accelerators.
The Radio Frequency (RF) Group, in the BE Department, which is responsible for RF technology and the operation of the RF acceleration and transverse damping systems in all the CERN accelerators. A significant part of the RF group's activity is dedicated to accelerator upgrades and new projects.
The Servos & Controls Interface Section, in the RF Group, which is a cross-disciplinary team that provides expertise in all aspects of digital control of the RF systems, including hardware design with programmable logic, digital signal processing, process control with Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), real-time control using VMEbus and PC front-end computers, and application software running on operator consoles.
As a Software Development Technical Engineer in the Servos & Controls Interface Section, you will be working at the interface between hardware developers and the controls and operations teams. You will more specifically:
Design, develop, test and implement:
Real-time control software for the digital beam control and feedback systems being developed for the LHC Injector Upgrade project, using the CERN Front End Software Architecture (FESA) framework, running on VME systems under Linux.
FESA supervision software in C++ for the PLCs controlling the high-power RF systems.
Application software for commissioning, surveillance and expert interventions on the RF accelerator equipment.
Work in collaboration with hardware developers in the RF group's Feedback Section to provide tools for efficient firmware and software development.
Collaborate with the Controls (CO) and Operations (OP) Groups in the integration of RF equipment into the accelerator control system and the CERN LSA (LHC Software for Applications) operational software environment.
Contribute to the first-line support provided by the group for the operation of the accelerators.
Bachelor's degree in the field of software engineering, or equivalent.
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications: In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Experience of software development for hardware or equipment controls in a research or industrial environment.
- Demonstrated experience with C/C++. Experience in Java or Python would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of Linux would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Programming/Software development.
- Design of real time control system.
- Installation, maintenance & operation of Control systems.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Solving problems: finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: thinking "out of the box" and proposing fresh ideas, insights and methodologies; keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages. Ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 30.10.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation controlled areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.