Temporary Facilities Purchasing Assistant
The Purchasing Assistant supports the Facilities Management inventory and material management program through purchase of parts and materials in compliance with purchasing policies to maximize inventory turns and reduce cost of goods. Responsibilities include receiving and processing material requests, sourcing parts, preparing purchase orders, and following through to the receiving of material, and processing invoices, all with a sense of urgency. Duties include maintaining reports, tracking deliverables, and following up with vendors/suppliers as to the status of materials. The position regularly interacts with vendors/suppliers, internal customers, and functional peer groups such as Procurement.
The position is also responsible for updating Institute databases (FAMIS, Techmart, et al.)
• Receive material requests by phone or online and support the purchase of materials, supplies, and equipment.
• Review material requests in a timely manner and place orders with the low-cost provider that can meet quantity and delivery requirements of field/shop requestors.
• Request competitive bids with preferred suppliers and make decisions on order placement and supplier selection.
• Expedite materials purchases when required.
• Maintain material request log.
• Process purchase orders; reconcile P-card monthly.
• Follow up and partner with field staff to ensure ordered goods meet end-user needs and quality specifications; research, as needed, supplier cross-referenced part numbers and secure alternate suppliers/manufacturers that can provide equivalent substitutes that meet or exceed part specifications.
• Reconcile material requests, purchase orders, invoices, and packing slips.
• Make appropriate recommendations/changes to improve internal processes, supplier/vendor selection and system functionality.
• Prepare weekly and monthly reports.
• Complete other projects and/or duties as assigned.
• Process returns, over-shipments, and cancellations.
• Receive orders from vendors; log/record shipments.
• Fulfill orders; kit parts orders by job.
• Replenish stock through periodic order purchasing and processing.
• Recommend adjustments of inventory levels considering historical usage and economic order quantities.
• Identify and assist with timely disposition of slow moving and obsolete inventory in stockroom.
• Participate in monthly and annual stockroom inventory.
• Establish and maintain vendor relationships.
• Provide clear, concise, and timely communication with vendors/suppliers and internal customers regarding the status of purchase orders and material requests.
• Assist with obtaining and providing materials necessary to support all non-punch-out (Techmart) purchasing requirements and legal obligations (Terms & Conditions) of the organization relative to supplier management and purchasing activity.
• Follow-up with vendors, as needed, for on-time delivery.
• Research and prepare quotes, as requested.
• Maintain mutually beneficial professional relationships with internal customers/staff, vendors and potential vendors.
• Maintain data to support future supplier report card system for measuring timely fulfillment, price increases, etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Plus a minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience.
• Strong PC skills; proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Must have great customer service experience, attitude, and skills.
• Ability to make decisions based on standard practices; capable of solving both routine and complex problems.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to prioritize and organize daily job requirements with high attention to detail and strong follow through skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; knowledge of arithmetic, spelling, grammar and general high school subject matter.
• Must be able to work in office setting with occasional exposure to industrial operations (temperatures, noise, etc.).
• Ability to lift 20 lbs. as part of ordering receiving, stock replenishment.
• College degree at associate’s level is a plus.
• Experience with FAMIS software or a similar integrated workplace management system.
• Two years or more of purchasing experience is a plus.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 09/27/2016
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.