Clinical Assistant Professor in Education
The School of Education at Boston University is seeking applicants for a full-time, non-tenure track Clinical Assistant Professor position in the Language Education Program. This position entails teaching undergraduate and graduate-level courses in language education, specifically courses in the assessment, teaching and learning of foreign and second languages, intercultural communication, linguistics, and second language acquisition and development. The primary focus of this position will be on modern foreign language teaching and learning.
The School of Education at BU specifically welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups and applicants with a strong commitment to social justice and change. We are looking for candidates who bring and seek to develop this commitment within the areas of foreign language and bilingual education.
This position begins July 1, 2017. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Description of Duties:
- Teach both undergraduate and graduate courses in language education, especially foreign and second language methods
- Provide professional academic advisement to students seeking licensure as teachers of foreign languages (Spanish, French, Arabic)
- Collaboration with and support of ESL licensure programs
- Oversee field placements for modern foreign language education students
- Conduct a program of scholarly research and publication on modern foreign language education appropriate for the rank of Clinical Assistant Professor
- Build positive relations with local schools, other departments at Boston University, the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, and professional organizations
- Engage in professional development activities with in-service educators and/or pre-college students
- Earned doctorate in applied second language studies or related field (applied linguistics, language education) (ABD acceptable with degree completion required by time of appointment)
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and social justice issues in language education
- Experience teaching modern foreign language education classes at the college/university level
- Ability to design and implement engaging instruction
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills
- An emerging and/or established research agenda
- Demonstrated teaching excellence of a foreign language
- Three or more years of successful middle or high-school foreign language teaching experience
- B.A. or equivalent in a foreign language
DO NOT APPLY THROUGH THE BOSTON UNIVERSITY HR WEBSITE.
Applicants should submit the following documents electronically through https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/8013:
- Cover letter explaining suitability for position
- Current curriculum vitae
- 3 letters of reference
- 1–3 Sample(s) of scholarship
- Unofficial copies graduate transcripts
Review of applications will begin November 1st, 2016 and will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries may be directed to the Chair of the Search Committee, Dr. Yasuko Kanno (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States